The Environmental Impact of not Having Paved Roads in Arid Regions: An Example from Mongolia
- 360 Downloads
KeywordsLand Degradation Environmental Impact Assessment Satellite Imagery Pave Road Strategic Environmental Assessment
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
We gratefully acknowledge the valuable contributions of Ben Wielstra, Eric Smaling, Roel Slootweg, Tony Whitten, Claudia Heinze, Andre Kooiman, and D. Narantuya for reviewing and commenting on this paper.
- Batanouny, K.H. 1985. Environmental effects of off-road vehicles. Impacts and management in arid regions. Plant Ecology 60: 66–66.Google Scholar
- Forman, R.T.T. 2003. Road ecology: Science and solutions, 480 pp. Washington, DC: Island Press.Google Scholar
- Google. 2011a. Near: Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia. http://goo.gl/Y6NGg. Accessed 20 April 2011.
- Google. 2011b. Near: Bayan Olgii, Mongolia. http://goo.gl/cd0h3. Accessed 20 April 2011.
- Google. 2011c. Near: Lun, Mongolia. http://goo.gl/p2tHE. Accessed 20 April 2011.
- Google. 2011d. Aman-Semiz in Uzbekistan. http://goo.gl/QI1vG. Accessed 20 April 2011.
- Google. 2011e. Akadyr, Kazakhstan. http://goo.gl/PsBM9. Accessed 20 April 2011.
- Google. 2011f. Near: Eduardo Avaroa National Fauna Reserve in Bolivia. http://goo.gl/Dm4La. Accessed 20 April 2011.
- Google. 2011g. Laguna Colorado in Bolivia. http://goo.gl/Rvp3I. Accessed 20 April 2011.
- N.R.C. Committee on Ecological Impacts of Road Density. 2005. Assessing and managing the ecological impacts of paved roads, 294 pp. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.Google Scholar
- National Statistical Office of Mongolia. 2008. Mongolian statistical yearbook 2007, 434 pp. Ulaanbaatar: National Statistical Office of Mongolia.Google Scholar
- Onon, R. 2010. Current status of road destinations connected to Asian highway network. In: 8th meeting of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) transport sector coordinating committee, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. 24–25 June 2009. Asian Development Bank. http://www.adb.org/Documents/Events/2009/8th-meeting-CAREC-TSCC/Session1-Progress-Report-MON-Roads.pdf.
- Roedenbeck, I.A., L. Fahrig, C.S. Findlay, J.E. Houlahan, J.A.G. Jaeger, N. Klar, S. Kramer-Schadt, and E.A. van der Grift. 2007. The Rauischholzhausen agenda for road ecology. Ecology and Society 12: 11.Google Scholar
- Trivedi, B.P. 2003. Mongolia highway will threaten gazelles, Critics Say. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/03/0320_030320_tvgazelles.html. Accessed 20 April 2011.
- Van Gils, H.A.M.J., and A.V.L.A. Ugon. 2006. What drives conversion of tropical forest in Carrasco Province, Bolivia? AMBIO 35: 81–85.Google Scholar
© Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences 2011