Flash Flooding in Attika, Greece: Climatic Change or Urbanization?
- 162 Downloads
KeywordsForest Fire Flash Flooding Hydrographic Network Flooding Vulnerability Local Government Body
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Athens News Agency. 2007. Nightmare of fire at Attika with fires at Kalivia and Imittos. 26/08/2007. http://www.in.gr/news/article.asp?lngEntityID=826554&lngDtrID=244 (in Greek).
- BBC News. 2007a. Greek forest fire close to Athens. 29/06/2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6252676.stm.
- BBC News. 2007b. Forest fire grips Athens suburbs. 17/08/2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6950662.stm.
- Bitsika, P. 2003. How concrete covered Attika. The lost streams and the floods that drown us. The Vima Newspaper 26/10/2003 (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Bitsika, P., and Μ. Tratsa, 2002. Extreme phenomena knock our doors. The Vima Newspaper 24/11/2002 (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Feidas, H., and D. Lalas. 2000. Climatic changes in the Mediterranean. Technical report of the National Observatory of Athens for the Ministry of PlanningPlanning, Works and Environment, Athens.Google Scholar
- Greek GeoTechnical Champer. 2004. Meeting for the flood prevention of Attica. Flood-prevention. Department of Professional Development, Office of Works Production, Athens, 2nd Νοvember 2004 (in Greek). (http://portal.tee.gr/portal/page/portal/SCIENTIFIC_WORK/EKDILOSEIS_P/EPISTHMONIKES_EVENTS/ANTIPLHMMYRIKH%20PROSTASIA%20ATTIKHS/142).
- Greek National Statistics Service. 2001. Population census 2001. http://www.technowatch.aueb.gr/news/may99/esye.htm.
- Kitsantonis, N. 2007. As forest fires burn, suffocated Athens is outraged. International Herald Tribune 16/07/2007. http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/16/news/greece.php.
- Kitsos, G. 2004. Implemented and under implementation flood-prevention works in Attica the last five-years and repercussions from the new transport and other works. Meeting for the flood prevention of Attica. Flood-prevention. Department of Professional Development, Office of Works Production, Athens, 2nd Νovember 2004 (in Greek). http://library.tee.gr/digital/m2022/m2022_kitsos.pdf.
- Κotroni, V., K. Lagouvardo, S. Mirasgenti, E. Georgopoulou, and G. Sarafidi. 2005. Localised climatic predictions for eastern Mediterranean: Results for the period 2071–2100. Climatic changes observatory, National Observatory of Athens (in Greek). http://www.teamfortheworld.org/docs/reports/eaa1.pdf.
- Koutsoyiannis, D., and M. Mimikou 1996. Management and prevention of crisis situations: floods, droughts and institutional aspects. Country Paper for Greece. 3rd EURAQUA Technical Review, Rome.Google Scholar
- Lasda, O. 2005. Flooding in Attika: extreme meteorological phenomenon or result of urbanization? BSc Thesis, Dept. of Environment, University of the Aegean, Greece (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Μimikou, Μ.Α. 2005. Flooding status in Greece. Greece: Department of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, School of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Mimikou, M., and D. Koustoyannis. 1995. 1994 Extreme floods in Greece. Research Workshop on the Hydrometeorology, Impacts, and Management of Extreme Floods, Perugia (Italy), November 1995.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Planning, Public Works and Environment. 2005. Planning of the Metropolitan Regions for Sustainable Development (in Greek). http://www.minenv.gr/index.html.
- Nicolaidou, M. and E. Hadjichristou. 1995. Recording and assessment of flood damages in Greece and Cyprus. BSc Thesis, School of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Greece (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Sioras, P. 2003. Time trends of streams and basic parameters of flow at Attika basin. Greece: School of Rural and Surveying Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Τsakiris, G. 2004. The “flooding” of the Olympics construction works. The Apogevmatini Newspaper 31/10/2004 (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Tsiourtis, N.X. 2002. Greece-water resources planning and climate change adaptation. Water, wetlands, and climate change building linkages for their integrated management. Mediterranean Regional Roundtable Athens, Greece, December 10–11, 2002. http://hydrogis.geology.upatras.gr/HYD/WATER_RESOURCES_GREECE.PDF.
- World Health Organisation. 2005. EM-DAT: The OFDA/CRED International Disaster Database. Université Catholique de Louvain-Brussels-Belgium. http://www.em-dat.net/.
- Xanthopoulos, Th., D. Christoulas, M. Mimikou, D. Koutsoyiannis, and M. Aftias. 1995. A strategy for the problem of floods in Athens. In: Proceedings of the workshop for the flood protection of Athens, Technical Chamber of Greece (in Greek).Google Scholar
© Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences 2010