ABCE1 plays an essential role in lung cancer progression and metastasis
ATP-binding cassette E1 (ABCE1) is a member of the ATP-binding cassette transporters and regulates a broad range of biological functions including viral infection, cell proliferation, and anti-apoptosis. We have previously shown that ABCE1 is a prognostic indicator for lung cancer, although the underlying mechanisms remain unclear. To investigate whether the ABCE1 gene contributes to the malignancy of lung tumors, we introduced ABCE1 into LTEP-a-2 lung adenocarcinoma cells. Ectopic ABCE1 expression promoted clonogenicity and anchorage-independent growth of LTEP-a-2 cells, while in a mouse xenograft tumor model, it had an augmentative effect on tumor growth and metastasis and reduced the expression of the tumor-suppressor gene growth arrest and DNA damage-inducible 45α (GADD45α). Moreover, apoptosis was not significantly influenced by ABCE1 in vitro. In summary, we have provided evidence that ABCE1 plays an essential role in the progression and metastasis of lung cancers and may represent a valuable therapeutic target for the management of lung tumor.
KeywordsABCE1 Lung cancer Progression Metastasis
This study was supported by the Young Innovation and Development Foundation from the Fourth Affiliated Hospital of China Medical University and the National Nature Science Foundation of China (#30973502).
Compliance with ethical standards
BALB/C nude mice were obtained from the animal facility of China Medical University and were treated according to the ethical guidelines of the institution.
Conflicts of interest
- 2.Filipits M, Pirker R, Dunant A, Lantuejoul S, Schmid K, et al. Cell cycle regulators and outcome of adjuvant cisplatin-based chemotherapy in completely resected non-small-cell lung cancer: the International Adjuvant Lung Cancer Trial Biologic Program. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25(19):2735–40.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Li MJ, Tian DL, Fu WN. Screening of metastasis-related genes in small cell lung cancer by differential display. J Chin Med Univ. 2006;35(1):31–5.Google Scholar
- 5.Hassel BA, Zhou A, Sotomayor C, Maran A, Silverman RH. A dominant negative mutant of 2-5A-dependent RNase suppresses antiproliferative and antiviral effects of interferon. EMBO J. 1995;12(8):3297–304.Google Scholar
- 20.Tian Y, Tian X, Han X, Chen Y, Song CY, et al. Expression of ATP binding cassette E1 (ABCE1) enhances viability and invasion of lung adenocarcinoma cells in vitro. Mol Med Rep. 2015; in press.Google Scholar
- 21.Tamura RE, de Vasconcellos JF, Sarkar D, Libermann TA, fisher PB, et al. GADD45 proteins: central players in tumorigenesis. Curr Mol Med. 2012; 12(5): 634–651.Google Scholar