miR-411 contributes the cell proliferation of lung cancer by targeting FOXO1
- 386 Downloads
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths worldwide; the study of microRNAs gives new hope for lung cancer treatment. miR-411 has been demonstrated to be an independent prognostic factor for lung adenocarcinoma, but the role and regulatory mechanism are largely unknown. In the present study, we found miR-411 was overexpressed in the lung cancer cells; overexpression of miR-411 promoted anchorage-dependent and anchorage-independent growths of lung cancer, while miR-411 knockdown reduced this effect. Further study showed forkhead box O1 (FOXO1) was a target of miR-411. Overexpression of miR-411 suppressed the expression of FOXO1; the effect of suppression was abrogated when the mutation occurred in the 3′UTR of FOXO1. Knockdown of FOXO1 in cells which miR-411 was inhibited recapitulated the phenotype of miR-411 overexpression. Taken together, our study revealed miR-411 promoted cell proliferation of lung cancer by targeting tumor suppressor gene FOXO1 and miR-411 might be a potential target for lung cancer therapy.
KeywordsLung cancer Cell proliferation miR-411 FOXO1
This work was supported by grants from the Science and technology project of Guangdong Province grant (No.2014A020212640, LM Qin).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
- 2.McDoniels-Silvers AL, Nimri CF, Stoner GD, Lubet RA, You M. Differential gene expression in human lung adenocarcinomas and squamous cell carcinomas. Clin Cancer Res: Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2002;8(4):1127–38.Google Scholar
- 5.Mahoney CL, Choudhury B, Davies H, Edkins S, Greenman C, Haaften G, et al. LKB1/KRAS mutant lung cancers constitute a genetic subset of NSCLC with increased sensitivity to MAPK and mTOR signalling inhibition. Br J Cancer. 2009;100(2):370–5. doi: 10.1038/sj.bjc.6604886.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.Mitsudomi T, Morita S, Yatabe Y, Negoro S, Okamoto I, Tsurutani J, et al. Gefitinib versus cisplatin plus docetaxel in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer harbouring mutations of the epidermal growth factor receptor (WJTOG3405): an open label, randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2010;11(2):121–8. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(09)70364-X.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Shaw AT, Yeap BY, Solomon BJ, Riely GJ, Gainor J, Engelman JA, et al. Effect of crizotinib on overall survival in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer harbouring ALK gene rearrangement: a retrospective analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2011;12(11):1004–12. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70232-7.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.Harafuji N, Schneiderat P, Walter M, Chen YW. miR-411 is up-regulated in FSHD myoblasts and suppresses myogenic factors. Orapant Journal of Rare Diseases. 2013;8:55.Google Scholar
- 24.van Schooneveld E, Wouters MC, Van der Auwera I, Peeters DJ, Wildiers H, Van Dam PA, et al. Expression profiling of cancerous and normal breast tissues identifies microRNAs that are differentially expressed in serum from patients with (metastatic) breast cancer and healthy volunteers. Breast Cancer Res :BCR. 2012;14(1):R34. doi: 10.1186/bcr3127.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar