A Hierarchical Spatiotemporal Statistical Model Motivated by Glaciology
- 211 Downloads
In this paper, we extend and analyze a Bayesian hierarchical spatiotemporal model for physical systems. A novelty is to model the discrepancy between the output of a computer simulator for a physical process and the actual process values with a multivariate random walk. For computational efficiency, linear algebra for bandwidth limited matrices is utilized, and first-order emulator inference allows for the fast emulation of a numerical partial differential equation (PDE) solver. A test scenario from a physical system motivated by glaciology is used to examine the speed and accuracy of the computational methods used, in addition to the viability of modeling assumptions. We conclude by discussing how the model and associated methodology can be applied in other physical contexts besides glaciology.
KeywordsModel discrepancy Uncertainty quantification Emulation
- Berliner, L. M. (1996), “Hierarchical Bayesian Time Series Models,” in Hanson, K. M. and Silver, R. N. (editors), Maximum Entropy and Bayesian Methods, Dordrecht: Springer Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Björnsson, H. and Pálsson, F. (2008), “Icelandic glaciers,” Jökull, 58, 365–386.Google Scholar
- Brinkerhoff, D. J., Aschwanden, A., and Truffer, M. (2016), “Bayesian Inference of Subglacial Topography Using Mass Conservation,” Frontiers in Earth Science, 4, 8, http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/feart.2016.00008.
- Calderhead, B., Girolami, M., and Lawrence, N. D. (2008), “Accelerating Bayesian Inference over Nonlinear Differential Equations with Gaussian Processes,” in Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems, NIPS’08, USA: Curran Associates Inc., http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2981780.2981808.
- Cressie, N. and Wikle, C. K. (2011), Statistics for Spatio-Temporal Data, John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Cuffey, K. M. and Paterson, W. (2010), The Physics of Glaciers, Academic Press, 4 edition.Google Scholar
- Flowers, G. E., Marshall, S. J., Björnsson, H., and Clarke, G. K. (2005), “Sensitivity of Vatnajökull ice cap hydrology and dynamics to climate warming over the next 2 centuries,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface, 110.Google Scholar
- Friedman, J., Hastie, T., and Tibshirani, R. (2001), The Elements of Statistical Learning, volume 1, Springer series in statistics. New York, NY, NY, USA.Google Scholar
- Geirsson, Ó. P., Hrafnkelsson, B., and Simpson, D. (2015), “Computationally efficient spatial modeling of annual maximum 24-h precipitation on a fine grid,” Environmetrics, 26, 339–353, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/env.2343.MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Golub, G. H. and Van Loan, C. F. (2012), Matrix Computations, volume 3, Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Guan, Y., Haran, M., and Pollard, D. (2016), “Inferring Ice Thickness from a Glacier Dynamics Model and Multiple Surface Datasets,” ArXiv e-prints.Google Scholar
- Gupta, A. and Kumar, V. (1994), “A scalable parallel algorithm for sparse Cholesky factorization,” in Proceedings of the 1994 ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing, Supercomputing ’94, Los Alamitos, CA, USA: IEEE Computer Society Press, http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=602770.602898.
- Hooten, M. B., Leeds, W. B., Fiechter, J., and Wikle, C. K. (2011), “Assessing First-Order Emulator Inference for Physical Parameters in Nonlinear Mechanistic Models,” Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 16, 475–494, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13253-011-0073-7.MathSciNetCrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kusnierczyk, W. (2012), rbenchmark: Benchmarking routine for R, https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=rbenchmark. R package version 1.0.0.
- Lehmann, E. and Casella, G. (2003), Theory of Point Estimation, Springer Texts in Statistics, Springer New York, https://books.google.com/books?id=0q-Bt0Ar-sgC.
- Liaw, A. and Wiener, M. (2002), “Classification and Regression by randomForest,” R News, 2, 18–22, https://CRAN.R-project.org/doc/Rnews/.
- Lindgren, F., Rue, H., and Lindström, J. (2011), “An explicit link between Gaussian fields and Gaussian Markov random fields: the stochastic partial differential equation approach,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B (Statistical Methodology), 73, 423–498.MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Madsen, H. (2007), Time Series Analysis, Chapman and Hall/CRC.Google Scholar
- Murray, I., Adams, R. P., and MacKay, D. J. (2010), “Elliptical slice sampling”, Journal of Machine Learning Research W&CP, 9, 541–548.Google Scholar
- Owhadi, H. and Scovel, C. (2017), “Universal Scalable Robust Solvers from Computational Information Games and fast eigenspace adapted Multiresolution Analysis”, ArXiv e-prints.Google Scholar
- Payne, A. J., Huybrechts, P., Abe-Ouchi, A., Calov, R., Fastook, J. L., Greve, R., Marshall, S. J., Marsiat, I., Ritz, C., Tarasov, L., and Thomassen, M. P. A. (2000), “Results from the EISMINT model intercomparison: the effects of thermomechanical coupling,” Journal of Glaciology, 46, 227–238.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Robert, C. (2007), The Bayesian Choice: From Decision-Theoretic Foundations to Computational Implementation, Springer Texts in Statistics, Springer New York, https://books.google.com/books?id=NQ5KAAAAQBAJ.
- Rue, H. and Held, L. (2005), Gaussian Markov Random Fields: Theory and Applications, CRC press.Google Scholar
- Salter, J. M., Williamson, D. B., Scinocca, J., and Kharin, V. (2019), “Uncertainty Quantification for Computer Models With Spatial Output Using Calibration-Optimal Bases,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, 0, 1–24, https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.2018.1514306.
- Sigurdarson, A. N. and Hrafnkelsson, B. (2016), “Bayesian prediction of monthly precipitation on a fine grid using covariates based on a regional meteorological model,” Environmetrics, 27, 27–41, https://ideas.repec.org/a/wly/envmet/v27y2016i1p27-41.html.MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Solin, A. and Särkkä, S. (2014), “Explicit Link Between Periodic Covariance Functions and State Space Models,” in Kaski, S. and Corander, J. (editors), Proceedings of the Seventeenth International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics, volume 33 of Proceedings of Machine Learning Research, Reykjavik, Iceland: PMLR, http://proceedings.mlr.press/v33/solin14.html.
- van der Vaart, A. (2000), Asymptotic Statistics, Asymptotic Statistics, Cambridge University Press, https://books.google.com/books?id=UEuQEM5RjWgC.
- van der Veen, C. (2013), Fundamentals of Glacier Dynamics, CRC Press, 2 edition.Google Scholar
- Wikle, C. K. (2016), Hierarchical Models for Uncertainty Quantification: An Overview, Springer International Publishing, 1–26.Google Scholar