Oligoamnios and Perinatal Outcome
- 85 Downloads
We aimed at evaluating the predictive value of amniotic fluid index ≤5 on perinatal outcome in terms of effect on cardiotocography, mode of delivery, meconium in liquor, birth weight, fetal distress, APGAR score at birth and neonatal admission to ICU.
This is a prospective study of 308 antenatal women admitted to labor ward of MIMS during February 2014–December 2015 with gestational ages between 34 and 41 weeks. All women enrolled were subjected to history taking, examination, AFI estimation and compared between those with AFI ≤5 from rest.
The non-reactive CTG, cesarean section rate due to fetal distress, low birth weight, APGAR score <7 and NICU admission were significantly high among those with oligoamnios than the control group.
Oligoamnios has a significant correlation with adverse perinatal outcome.
KeywordsOligoamnios AFI Perinatal outcome
We thank all expectant mothers who participated in this study, all colleagues, all postgraduate students in the Department of OBGYN who cooperated in making the study and the management for encouragement. We specially thank Dr. Y. Roja Ramani, Asst Prof of Pharmacology, MKCG Medical College, for her relentless help in statistical analysis for the study.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
All the authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 4.Phelen JP, Smith CV, Broussard P, et al. Amniotic fluid volume assessment with the four quadrant technique at 36–42 weeks’ gestation. J Reprod Med. 1987;32:540.Google Scholar
- 6.Americam college of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Academy of Paediatrics. Guidelines for perinatal care. 6th ed. Oct 2007.Google Scholar
- 7.Chamberlain PF, Manning FA, et al. The relationship of marginal and decreased amniotic fluid volumes to perinatal outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1984;150(3):245–249 as cited in Bhagat M, Chawla I, JOGI, Vol 64:1, Jan–Feb 2014.Google Scholar
- 8.Bhagat M, Chawla I. Correlation of Amniotic Fluid Index with Perinatal Outcome. http://www.jogi.co.in.2014. 64:1.
- 9.Bangal VB, et al. Incidence of oligohydramnios during pregnancy and its effects on maternal and perinatal outcome. J Pharm Biomed Sci (JPBMS). 2011;12(05):1–4. www.jpbms.info.
- 11.Locatelli A, Vergani P, et al. Perinatal outcome associated with oligohydramnios in uncomplicated term pregnancies. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2004;269(2):130–133. Epub 2003 Aug 20Google Scholar
- 16.Grubb DK, Paul RH. Amniotic fluid excess and prolonged antepartum fetal heart rate decelerations. Obstet Gynecol. 1992;79(4):559–60.Google Scholar