The First Data Science Challenge at BTW 2017
- 223 Downloads
The 17th Conference on Database Systems for Business, Technology, and Web (BTW2017) of the German Informatics Society (GI) took place in March 2017 at the University of Stuttgart in Germany. A Data Science Challenge was organized for the first time at a BTW conference by the University of Stuttgart and Sponsor IBM. We challenged the participants to solve a data analysis task within one month and present their results at the BTW. In this article, we give an overview of the organizational process surrounding the Challenge, and introduce the task that the participants had to solve. In the subsequent sections, the final four competitor groups describe their approaches and results.
KeywordsBTW 2017 Challenge Data science Analytics New York City Citibike Car accidents
The organizers of the Data Science Challenge thank the participants and the jury for the time they invested. Furthermore, we would like to thank INFOS for sponsoring the price money of the event.
This work was partially funded by the IST-Hochschule University of Applied Sciences and by the PhD programOnline Participation, supported by the North Rhine-Westphalian funding scheme Fortschrittskollegs.
This work was partly funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research within the project Competence Center for Scalable Data Services and Solutions (ScaDS) Dresden/Leipzig (BMBF 01IS14014B) and Explicit Privacy-Preserving Host Intrusion Detection System EXPLOIDS (BMBF 16KIS0522K).
- 1.Australian Bureau of Statistics (2017) Time series analysis: the basicsGoogle Scholar
- 4.Ho T (1995) Random decision forests. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp 278–282Google Scholar
- 6.Kisilevich S, Mansmann F, Nanni M, Rinzivillo S (2010) Spatio-temporal clustering. Springer, Boston, pp 855–874Google Scholar
- 8.NYC Taxi & Limousine Commision (2017) Tlc trip record dataGoogle Scholar
- 9.Slocum TA, McMaster RB, Kessler FC, Howard HH (2005) Thematic cartography and geographic visualization. geographic information science. Pearson, Prentice HallGoogle Scholar
- 12.World Health Organization (2017) Top 10 causes of deathGoogle Scholar