Variation in composition, protein and pasting characteristics of different pigmented and non pigmented rice (Oryza sativa L.) grown in Indian Himalayan region
- 16 Downloads
This present study was aimed to evaluate proximate composition, antioxidant activity, amino and phenolic acids, protein profile and pasting characteristics of pigmented rice (PR) and non pigmented rice (NPR) landraces grown in Himalayan region. Higher antioxidant activity, total phenolic content, fat and protein content were observed for PR as compared to NPR. Histidine, iso-leucine, lysine, methionine, phenyl-alanine, valine and threonine were significantly higher for PR. Paste viscosities were higher for NPR (except IC568266) as compared to PR. IC568266 was observed to be waxy landrace. Higher free (gallic acid, catechin, caffeic acid, vanillic acid, sinapic acid and luteolin) and bound phenolics (ferulic acid, p-coumaric acid and quercetin) were observed in PR as compared to NPR. Majority of PR landraces showed higher accumulation of prolamines with low molecular weight polypeptides of 18, 20 and 29 kDa as compared to NPR. PR showed the higher essential amino acids, phenolic acids (p-coumaric acid, ferulic acid and quercetin) and antioxidant activity with improved nutritional value and showed potential for developing nutraceutical and functional foods.
KeywordsRice Protein Amino acids Phenolic acids Pasting
PK acknowledges UPE fellowship. NS acknowledges financial support as JC Bose National Fellowship by Department of Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India. We are also thankful to JC Rana for providing rice landraces.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that that they have no conflict of interest.
- AOAC (1990) Official methods of analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC), Washington, pp 1–50Google Scholar
- Defa G, Meizu XA (2006) Study on special nutrient of purple glutinous rice. Shanghai Acdemy of Agricultural Science, ShanghaiGoogle Scholar
- Dhillon MK, Kumar S, Gujar GT (2014) A common HPLC-PDA method for amino acid analysis in insects and plants. Indian J Exp Biology 52:73–79Google Scholar
- Kayahara H, Tukahara K (2000) Flavor, health, and nutritional quality of pre-germinated brown rice. In: International conference at international chemical congress Pacific Basin Society, Hawaii, Dec 2000Google Scholar
- Oko AO, Ugwu SI (2011) The proximate and mineral compositions of five major rice varieties in Abakaliki, South-Eastern Nigeria. Int J Plant Physiol Biochem 3:25–27Google Scholar
- Zhang CQ, Zhou LH, Zhu ZB, Lu HW, Zho XZ, Qian YT, Li QF, Lu Y, Gu MH, Liu QQ (2016) Characterization of grain quality and starch fine structure of two japonica rice (Oryza sativa) cultivars with good sensory properties at different temperatures during the filling stage. J Agric Food Chem 64:4048–4057CrossRefGoogle Scholar