Antioxidant property of synbiotic combination of Lactobacillus sp. and wheat bran xylo-oligosaccharides
- 344 Downloads
Wheat bran water unextractable portion (WB-WUP) was subjected to xylanase treatment to obtain a mixture of xylo-oligosaccharides (XOS). XOS mixture was purified on charcoal-celite column and the individual oligosaccharides were separated on a Bio-Gel P-2 column. The sugar composition of the purified oligosaccharides was determined by GLC and their structure was deduced by ESI-MS and 1H and 13C NMR. The major oligosaccharides identified were xylobiose and xylotriose (consisting of arabinose). Five strains of lactobacilli (probiotics), XOS (prebiotics) and a combination of both (synbiotics) in milk (as medium) were monitored for antioxidant activity. DPPH radical scavenging activity (~70 %) as well as ferric reducing power (~80 mg/100 ml FeSO4eq) were significantly higher (p < 0.05) in all the synbiotic preparations compared to that of control. The present study indicated that the synbiotic preparations consisting of XOS and lactobacilli can be effectively used as dietary supplement.
KeywordsXylo-oligosaccharides Probiotic Synbiotic Antioxidant
We thank Prof. Ram Rajasekharan, Director CSIR-CFTRI, Mysore, for his keen interest in the work and encouragement. L. D. L. thanks the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (C.S.I.R.), New Delhi, India for the grant of a research fellowship.
- Bronner F, Pansu D (1999) Nutritional aspects of calcium absorption. J Nutr 129:9–12Google Scholar
- Gibson GR, Roberfroid MB (1995) Dietary modulation of the human colonic microbiota: introducing the concept of prebiotics. J Nutr 125:1401–1412Google Scholar
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JMC (1989) Free radicals in biology and medicine, 2nd edn. Clarendon, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Lasrado LD, Muralikrishna G (2013) Purification and characterization of β-D-Xylosidase from Lactobacillus brevis grown on xylo-oligosaccharides. Carbohydr Polym 92:1978–1983Google Scholar
- Madhukumar MS, Muralikrishna G (2010) Structural characterisation and determination of prebiotic activity of purified xylo-oligosaccharides obtained from Bengal Gram husk (Cicer arietinum L.) and wheat Bran (Triticum aestivum). Food Chem 118:215–223Google Scholar
- Reddy SS, Krishnan C (2010) Production of prebiotics and antioxidants as health food supplements from ligno cellulosic materials using multi enzymatic hydrolysis. Int J Chem Sci 8:S535–S549Google Scholar
- Reis A, Coimbra MA, Domingues P, Ferrer-Correia AJ, Domingues MR (2002) Structural characterisation of underivatised olive pulp xylo-Oligosaccharides by mass spectrometry using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionisation and electrospray ionisation. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 16:2124–2132CrossRefGoogle Scholar