Influence of pectinolyttic and cellulotyc enzyme complexes on cashew bagasse maceration in order to obtain carotenoids
- 200 Downloads
Cashew apple bagasse is a byproduct of cashew peduncle juice processing. Such waste is a source of carotenoids, but it is usually discarded after the juice extraction. The objective of this work was to study the influence of pectinolytic and cellulolytic enzyme complexes on cashew bagasse maceration in order to obtain carotenoids. It was observed that maceration with the enzymatic complex Pectinex Batch AR showed a higher content of carotenoids, with an overall gain of 79 % over the control carried out without enzyme complex addition.
KeywordsAnacardium Occidentale Carotenoids Maceration Pectinases Cellulases
The authors thank INCT-Frutos Tropicais (CNPq) and Embrapa for the financial support of this work.
- Abreu FAP (2001) Extrato de bagaço de caju rico em pigmento. Patente Brasileira, n° PI 0103885–0.Google Scholar
- Barbosa MM (2010) Production of Carotenoids and Flavonoids from the peduncle bagasse Cashew Enzyme for maceration and pressing. Federal University of Ceará, Fortaleza, Brazil, Master’s ThesisGoogle Scholar
- Broizoni PRB, Andrade-Warth ERS, Silva AM O e, Novo AJV, Torres RP, Azeredo HMC, Alves RE, Mancini-Filho J (2007) Evaluation of antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds naturally present in the pseudo-products of cashew. Int J Sci and Food Technol 7:902–908Google Scholar
- Coelho MAS, Salgado AM, Ribeiro BD (2008) Enzyme Technology, 1st edn. FAPERJ, Rio de JaneiroGoogle Scholar
- Couri S (1993) Efeito de cátions na morfologia do agregado e na produção de poligalacturonase por Aspergillus niger mutante 3T5B8. PhD Thesis. Escola de Química/UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro.Google Scholar
- Khanna PK, Sethi RP, Tewari HK (1981) Production poligalacturonase and pectin methyl esterase by aspergillus niger C1. J Res Punjab Agric Univ 18:415–420Google Scholar
- Miller GL (1959) Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagents for determination of Reducing sugars. Analytical Chemistry.Google Scholar
- Paiva JR, Alves RE, Barros LM, Cavalcanti JJV, Almeida JHS, Moura CFH (1998) Produção e qualidade de pedúnculos de clones de cajueiro-anão-precoce sob cultivo irrigado. EMBRAPA-CNPAT, FortalezaGoogle Scholar
- Wood TM, Garcia–Campayo V (1990) Enzimology of cellulose degradation Biodegradation Dordrecth, 1st edn. Kluwer Academic Publishers, NetherlandsGoogle Scholar