Modified Reinforced Staple Closure Technique Decreases Postoperative Pancreatic Fistula After Distal Pancreatectomy
- 2 Downloads
Postoperative pancreatic fistula (POPF) is a serious complication that can occur following distal pancreatectomy (DP). Recent studies demonstrated that the use of reinforced staplers with bioabsorbable mesh significantly reduced the incidence of POPF, although the safety and efficacy of this approach remain controversial. Therefore, we originally developed a modified closure technique that combines the use of a reinforced stapler with bioabsorbable mesh with suture closure of the main pancreatic duct. The aim of this study was to determine whether our closure technique is predictive of POPF after DP. Fifty-nine consecutive patients who underwent DP were retrospectively enrolled. Based on the closure technique, we divided the cohort into a suture group (group A; n = 39) and a modified closure group (group B; n = 20). Using multivariate analysis, surgical closure techniques, including our method, and other well-known POPF risk factors were independently assessed. Multivariate logistic regression analysis identified no pathological fibrosis (odds ratio [OR], 5.41; p < 0.01), body mass index (> 25 kg/m2) (OR, 3.01; p = 0.02), and pancreatic stump closure technique (group A) (OR, 2.04; p = 0.01) as independent risk factors for POPF. The present study indicated that our modified closure technique is an additional useful technique to reduce POPF after DP.
KeywordsDistal pancreatectomy DP Pancreatic fistula POPF Staple closure
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The ethics committee of the Tsukuba Medical Center Hospital approved this study.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 13.Kawai M, Hirono S, Okada K, Sho M, Nakajima Y, Eguchi H, Nagano H, Ikoma H, Morimura R, Takeda Y, Nakahira S, Suzumura K, Fujimoto J, Yamaue H (2016) Randomized controlled trial of pancreaticojejunostomy versus stapler closure of the pancreatic stump during distal pancreatectomy to reduce pancreatic fistula. Ann Surg 264:180–187CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Diener MK, Seiler CM, Rossion I, Kleeff J, Glanemann M, Butturini G, Tomazic A, Bruns CJ, Busch ORC, Farkas S, Belyaev O, Neoptolemos JP, Halloran C, Keck T, Niedergethmann M, Gellert K, Witzigmann H, Kollmar O, Langer P, Steger U, Neudecker J, Berrevoet F, Ganzera S, Heiss MM, Luntz SP, Bruckner T, Kieser M, Büchler MW (2011) Efficacy of stapler versus hand-sewn closure after distal pancreatectomy (DISPACT): a randomised, controlled multicentre trial. Lancet 377:1514–1522CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Yamashita YI, Tsujita E, Chikamoto A, Imai K, Kaida T, Yamao T, Umezaki N, Nakagawa S, Hashimoto D, Baba H (2017) Linear stapling device with pre-attached bioabsorbable polyglycolic acid felt reduces postoperative pancreatic fistula after distal pancreatectomy. Anticancer Res 37:1865–1868CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Kawai M, Hirono S, Okada KI, Satoi S, Yanagimoto H, Kon M, Murakami Y, Kondo N, Sho M, Akahori T, Toyama H, Fukumoto T, Fujii T, Matsumoto I, Eguchi H, Ikoma H, Takeda Y, Fujimoto J, Yamaue H (2017) Reinforced staplers for distal pancreatectomy. Langenbeck’s Arch Surg 402:1197–1204CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Hamilton NA, Porembka MR, Johnston FM, Gao F, Strasberg SM, Linehan DC, Hawkins WG (2012) Mesh reinforcement of pancreatic transection decreases incidence of pancreatic occlusion failure for left pancreatectomy: a single-blinded, randomized controlled trial. Ann Surg 255:1037–1042CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Johnston FM, Cavataio A, Strasberg SM, Hamilton NA, Simon PO Jr, Trinkaus K, Doyle MBM, Mathews BD, Porembka MR, Linehan DC, Hawkins WG (2009) The effect of mesh reinforcement of a stapled transection line on the rate of pancreatic occlusion failure after distal pancreatectomy: review of a single institution’s experience. HPB (Oxford) 11:25–31CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Finan KR, Cannon EE, Kim EJ, Wesley MM, Arnoletti PJ, Heslin MJ, Christein JD (2009) Laparoscopic and open distal pancreatectomy: a comparison of outcomes. Am Surg 75:671–679Google Scholar
- 27.Kurahara H, Maemura K, Mataki Y et al (2014) Closure of the pancreas in distal pancreatectomy: comparison between bare stapler and reinforced stapler. Hepatogastroenterol 61:2367–2370Google Scholar