Dentists’ Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice Regarding Oral Cancer in Iran
- 300 Downloads
Dentists are usually the first group who can examine patients for oral cancer and the early diagnosis highly depends on their knowledge. In this study, we aim to survey the Iranian dentists’ knowledge, attitude, and behaviors regarding oral cancer. A valid and reliable self-administered questionnaire was designed and sent to 150 dentists. Responses to the questionnaires were analyzed using descriptive and analytical statistics. Just one fifth of the dentists reported to perform oral cancer examination for all of their patients in age of 40 and above and about 34 % of them were knowledgeable. They mostly claimed that the lack of knowledge is the main barriers to the provision of routine oral cancer examinations. The opinion of dentists about the effectiveness of continuing education courses supports the development of these courses on oral cancer. Besides, more emphasis should be placed on oral cancer prevention in dental schools.
KeywordOral cancer Knowledge Attitude Practice Iran Dentists
We would like to thank Isfahan University of Medical Science as this paper is based on the results of a project supported—financially and administratively—by the Vice Chancellery of research in this university.
- 1.Petersen PE, Bourgeois D, Ogawa H, Estuplanen-Day S, Nidayae C (2005) The global burden of oral disease and risks to oral health. Bul World Health Organ 83:661–669Google Scholar
- 16.Yellowitz J, Horowitz AM, Goodman HS, Canto MT, Farooq NS (1998) Knowledge, opinions and practices of general dentists regarding oral cancer: a pilot survey. J Am Dent Assoc 129:579–583Google Scholar
- 20.Puma M (2001) Evaluating standards-based professional development for teachers: a handbook for practitioners. The Urban Institute. Educational Policy Center, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 23.Yellowitz JA, Horowitz AM, Drury TF, Goodman HS (2000) Survey of US dentists’ knowledge and opinions about oral pharyngeal cancer. J Am Dent Assoc 131:653–661Google Scholar
- 27.Brocklehurst P, Kujan O, Glenny AM, Oliver R, Sloan P, Ogden G, Shepherd S (2010) Screening programs for the early detection and prevention of oral cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 10(11):CD004150Google Scholar