Acute Psychosis Associated with Recreational Use of Benzofuran 6-(2-Aminopropyl)Benzofuran (6-APB) and Cannabis
- 413 Downloads
There is evidence from around Europe of the availability and use of 6-(2-aminopropyl)benzofuran (6-APB) as a recreational drug. However, there is currently limited information on the acute toxicity of this compound. We describe here a case of acute toxicity associated with recreational use of legal high (6-APB) and cannabis, in which the comprehensive toxicological analysis confirmed the presence of a significant amount of 6-APB together with metabolites of both tetrahydrocannabinol and the synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonist (JWH-122).
A 21-year-old gentleman with no previous medical and psychiatric history was brought to the emergency department (ED) after he had developed agitation and paranoid behaviour following the use of 6-APB purchased over the Internet. There was no obvious medical cause for his acute psychosis. He required diazepam to control his agitation and was subsequently transferred to a psychiatric hospital for ongoing management of his psychosis. Toxicological screening of a urine sample collected after presentation to the ED detected 6-APB, with an estimated urinary concentration of 2,000 ng/ml; other drugs were also detected, but at lower concentrations including metabolites of the synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonist JWH-122 and tetrahydrocannabinol.
This is the first case of analytically confirmed acute toxicity associated with the detection of 6-APB which will provide some information on acute toxicity of this drug to help clinicians with the management of such patients and legislative authorities in their consideration for the need of its control.
KeywordsBenzofuran 6-APB 6-(2-Aminopropyl)benzofuran Legal high Toxicity Benzo Fury
- 1.European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (2012) The state of the drugs problem in Europe. http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/attachements.cfm/att_190854_EN_TDAC12001ENC_.pdf. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 3.Mustafa A (1974) The benzofurans—chemistry of heterocyclic compounds: a series of monographs, 29th edn. Wiley, New York, pp 1–2Google Scholar
- 5.Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (2011) Consideration of the novel psychoactive substances (‘legal highs’). http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/agencies-public-bodies/acmd1/acmdnps2011?view=Binary. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 6.Archer JR, Dargan PI, Chan WL, Hudson S, Wood DM (2013) Variability in recreational drugs and novel psychoactive substances detected in anonymous pooled urine samples from street pissoirs (street urinals) over time: a technique to monitor trends in drugs use. Clin Tox (Phila) (in press)Google Scholar
- 7.Wood DM, Archer JR, Measham F, Hudson S, Dargan PI (2013) Detection of use of novel psychoactive substances by attendees at a music festival in the North West of England. Clin Tox (Phila) (in press)Google Scholar
- 9.Mental Health Act (1983) 2007. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/12/pdfs/ukpga_20070012_en.pdf. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 10.ToxBase (2013) Benzo Fury. http://www.toxbase.org/Poisons-Index-A-Z/6-Products/6-APB/. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 11.Briner K, Burkhart JP, Burkholder TP, Fisher MJ, Gritton WH, Kohlman DT, Liang SX, Miller SC, Mullaney JT, XU Y-C, XU Y (2006) Aminoalkylbenzofurans as serotonin (5-HT(2c)) agonists. United States Patent US 7045545 B1. http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=US&NR=7045545B1&KC=B1&FT=D&date=20060516&DB=&&locale=en_EP. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 12.Buy Research Chemicals UK (2013) 6-APB Pellets. https://www.buyresearchchemicals.co.uk/buy-6-apb/6-apb-pellets.html. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 13.Purechemicals.net (2013) Buy 6-APB powder. http://www.purechemicals.net/buy-6-apb-powder-71-c.asp. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 14.Official Benzo Fury™ (2013) Benzo Fury Pellets. http://www.officialbenzofury.com/products/Benzo-Fury-Pellets.html. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 16.Global Drug Survey (2013) 2012 Global Drug Survey. http://globaldrugsurvey.com/run-my-survey/2012-global-drug-survey. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 17.Erowid (2013) Erowid experience vaults: 5-APB reports (also 5-(2-aminopropyl)benzofuran, 1-(1-benzofuran-5-yl)propan-2-amine). http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_5APB.shtml. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 18.Erowid (2013) Erowid experience vaults: 6-APB reports (also 6-(2-aminopropyl)benzofuran, Benzo Fury). http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_6APB.shtml. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 19.Blue Light (2013) Forum: 6-APB report from an ickle noob. http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/525471-6-APB-report-from-an-ickle-noob. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 20.Drugs Forum: 6-APB. http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=6-APB. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 21.BBC News Jersey (2012) Matthew Wing inquest: legal high caused Jersey man’s death (17th October 2012). http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-19964309. Accessed 30 Apr 2013
- 22.FRANK (2013) Talk to Frank: APB (related terms: White Pearl, Benzo Fury, 6-APDB, 6-APB, 5-APDB, 5-APB). http://www.talktofrank.com/drug/apb. Accessed 30 Apr 2013