#sendeanlat (#tellyourstory): Text Analyses of Tweets About Sexual Assault Experiences
On 11 February 2015, a 20-year-old university student, Ozgecan Aslan, was violently murdered in an attempted rape in Mersin, southern Turkey. This event led to a mass Twitter protest in the country. Women across the country started sharing the hashtag #sendeanlat (“#tellyourstory” in English). In the current exploratory study, 164,279 original tweets were analyzed using the text analytic approach called the Meaning Extraction Method. Results revealed the key themes of reactions to victim blaming, honor culture/namus, assault experiences, social media, and women’s responsibility. Policy, media, and mental-health-related implications and future research directions are discussed.
KeywordsLanguage analysis Twitter Social media Turkey Rape Assault
Compliance with Ethical Standards
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards. The data we extracted from Twitter is public. Therefore, as advised by the University of Connecticut Ethics Board, we did not obtain an IRB approval for this study. There was no informed consent as we used the data that is already publicly available.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- API Reference Index. (n.d.). Retrieved from: https://dev.Twitter.com/rest/reference/get/search/tweets. Accessed 20 Feb 2018
- Asquith, C. (2015). Turkish men get away with murder: Ozgecan Aslan and violence against women in Turkey. The New York Times. Retrieved from: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/opinion/ozgecan-aslan-and-violence-against-women-in-turkey.html?_r=0
- Blanton, H. & Ikizer, E. G. (2017). The bullet point bias: How diluted science communications can impede social progress. In J. T. Crawford & L. Jussim (Eds.), The politics of social psychology (pp. 168–190). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Boyd, R. L. (2016). Meaning extraction helper. Retrieved from: http://meh.ryanb.cc/. Accessed 15 Dec 2015
- Calabrese, K. R. (2000). Interpersonal Conflict and Sarcasm in the Workplace. Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs, 126(4), 459–494.Google Scholar
- Davidson, H. (2015). Rape and murder of young woman sparks mass protest in Turkey. The Guardian. Retrieved from: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/17/turkish-woman-ozgecan-aslans-sparks-anti-violence-campaign-sendeanlat
- Deutsche Welle (2018) Killer of Turkish female student Özgecan Aslan shot dead in prison. Deutsche Welle. Retrieved from: https://www.dw.com/en/killer-of-turkish-female-student-%C3%B6zgecan-aslan-shot-dead-in-prison/a-19179575. Accessed 27 Jun 2018
- Diani, M. (1995). Green networks. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- El-Khair, I. A. (2006). Effects of stop words elimination for Arabic information retrieval: A comparative study. International Journal of Computing & Information Sciences, 4(3), 119–133.Google Scholar
- Fontanella-Khan, A. (2014). How India’s honor culture perpetuates mass rape. [Blog post]. Retrieved from: http://www.thedailybeast.com/how-indias-honor-culture-perpetuates-mass-rape
- Gleason, B. (2013). #Occupy Wall Street: Exploring informal learning about a social movement on Twitter. American Behavioral Scientist, 1–17, doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/000276421347937.
- Kagitcibasi, C. (2007). Family, self, and human development across cultures: Theory and applications. New York: Psychology Press.Google Scholar
- Kilimnik, C. D., Boyd, R. L., Stanton, A. M., & Meston, C. M. (2018). Identification of nonconsensual sexual experiences and the sexual self-schemas of women: Implications for sexual functioning. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 47, 1633–1647. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-018-1229-0.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- McGowan, J. (2013). Breaking the silence: Rape & India's honor culture. [Blog post]. Retrieved from: link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A321683288/WHIC?u=pl2982&xid=a09048cf.
- OxfordDictionaries.com (2018a). Sexual assault. Retrieved from: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sexual_assault. Accessed 11 Jun 2018
- OxfordDictionaries.com (2018b). Sexual harassment. Retrieved from: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sexual_harassment. Accessed 11 Jun 2018
- RAINN. (2018) Retrieved from: https://www.rainn.org/. Accessed 27 Jun 2018.
- Ramírez-Esparza, N., Chung, C. K., Kacewicz, E., & Pennebaker, J. W. (2008). The psychology of word use in depression forums in English and in Spanish: Testing two text analytic approaches. In: Proceedings of the 2008 international conference on weblogs and social media (ICWSM), pp. 102–108.Google Scholar
- Sev'er, A. & Yurdakul, G. (2001). Culture of Honor, Culture of Change: A Feminist Analysis of Honor Killings in Rural Turkey. Violence Against Women, 7(9), 964–998.Google Scholar
- Sozeri, E. K. (2015, February 17). #sendeanlat Tag’ini Başlatan İdil Elveriş Anlattı (Idil Elveris who started the #sendeanlat tag tells it). bianet. Retrieved from: http://bianet.org/bianet/medya/162349-sendeanlat-tag-ini-baslatan-idil-elveris-anlatti
- Ugurlu, N. S., & Aktas, G. (2013). Namus kültürlerinde “namus” ve “namus adına kadına şiddet”: Sosyal psikolojik açıklamalar. Türk Psikoloji Yazıları, 16(32), 76–91.Google Scholar
- Uras, U. (2015). Turkey women share harassment stories after grim murder. Aljazeera, February 16, 2015. Retrieved from: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/02/150216101649506.html. Accessed 15 Dec 2015
- Verba, S., Scholzman, K. L., & Brady, H. (1995). Voice and equality: Civic voluntarism in American politics. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Wilson, S., Mihalcea, R. L., Boyd, R. L., & Pennebaker, J. (2016). Disentangling topic models: A cross-cultural analysis of personal values through words. In: Proceedings of the First Workshop on NLP and Computational Social Science, pp. 143–152. Austin, Texas: Association for Computational Linguistics.Google Scholar
- World Economic Forum: The Global Gender Gap Report 2015. Retrieved from http://reports.weforum.org/global-gender-gap-report-2015. Accessed 2 Oct 2018