Two new species of free-living nematodes from the East China Sea
- 17 Downloads
Two new species of free-living marine nematodes of the genera Hopperia and Nemanema are described from the sublittoral sediment of the East China Sea. Hopperia macramphida sp. nov. is characterized by having large amphidial fovea with five turns; arcuate spicules with enlarged proximal end and central internal lamella extending one third of spicule length from proximal end; gubernaculum with bent apophyses, six papilliform precloacal supplements; and conico-cylindrical tail with swollen tip and terminal setae. Nemanema minutum sp. nov. is characterized by relatively smaller body size in the genus; large oval amphidial fovea; conical tail; slender spicules with alae and hooked proximal end; ring-like gubernaculum; and papilliform precloacal supplements with three short setae. An updated dichotomous key is provided for the 17 species of Hopperia.
Key wordsHopperia macramphida sp. nov. Nemanema minium sp. nov. marine nematode taxonomy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors are very thankful to all crew members of R/V Kexue Sanhao for their kind help in samples collection. The authors are sincerely grateful to Gao Qun for her slide making.
- Cobb N A. 1920. One hundred new nemas (type species of 100 new genera). Contributions to a Science of Nematology, 9: 217–343Google Scholar
- de Man J G. 1922. Neue freilebende Nematoden aus der Zuidersee. Tijdschr ned dierk Vereen, 2(18): 124–134Google Scholar
- Jiang Weijun, Gao Qun, Wang Haixia, et al. 2016. Study on ecology of the meiofauna in the East China Sea. Journal of Liaocheng University (Nat Sci) (in Chinese), 29(2): 65–74Google Scholar
- Leduc D. 2012. Deep-sea nematodes (Comesomatidae) from the Southwest Pacific Ocean: five new species and three new species records. European Journal of Taxonomy, 24: 1–42Google Scholar
- Platt H M, Warwick R M. 1983. Free-living marine nematodes: Part I. British Enoplids (Synopses of the British Fauna No. 28). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 307Google Scholar
- Platt H M, Warwick R M. 1988. Free living marine nematodes: Part II. British Chromadoridas. In: Brill E J, Backhuys Dr W, eds. Synopses of the British Fauna (New Series), 38. Published for the Linnean Society of London and the Estuarine and Brackish-Water Sciences Association. Avon, Great Britain: Bath Press, 502Google Scholar
- Vitiello P. 1969. Hopperia, nouveau genre de Nématode libre marin (Comesomatidae). Téthys, 1(2): 485–491Google Scholar