Seed halopriming improves the germination performance of black seed (Nigella sativa) under salinity stress conditions
- 323 Downloads
Soil salinity is one of the most serious agricultural problems. There are many biological strategies by which salinity tolerance of potential crops can be increased. The ameliorative efficiency of salt priming on emergence and seedling growth was examined in black seed (Nigella sativa), a valuable medicinal herb. The seeds were soaked for 24 h at 25°C in the dark in distilled water (control) or 1 or 2% of KNO3, CaCl2, NaCl, ZnSO4, or CuSO4. After the all treatments, the seeds were washed with distilled water and sown. Although all priming agents were effective in alleviating adverse effects of salt stress on black seed at germination stage, NaCl proved to be the most effective since the seeds primed with this salt had significantly higher germination performance than those treated with other salts or distilled water. Next to NaCl, KNO3, CaCl2, and ZnSO4 were also effective in promoting seed germination and early growth under saline conditions.
Keywordsmedicinal crops NaCl priming salinity tolerance salt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Basra SMA, Afzal I, Anwar S, Anwar-ul-Haq M, Shafiq M, Majeed K. 2006. Alleviation of salinity stress by seed invigoration techniques in wheat (Triticum aestivum). Seed Technol. 28: 36–46Google Scholar
- ISTA. 1996. Rules for seed testing. International Seed Testing Association. Seed Science and Technology Zurich. SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- Kattimani KN, Reddy YN, Rao RB. 1999. Effect of presoaking seed treatment on germination, seedling emergence, seedling vigour and root yield of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Daunal.). Seed Sci. Technol. 27: 483–488Google Scholar
- Kaya C, Sönmez O, Aydemir S, Dikilita M. 2013. Mitigation effects of glycinebetaine on oxidative stress and some key growth parameters of maize exposed to salt stress. Turk. J. Agric. For. 37: 188–194Google Scholar
- Qin J, Dong WY, He KN, Yu Y, Tan GD, Han L, Dong M, Zhang YY, Zhang D Li AZ, Wang ZL. 2010. NaCl salinity-induced changes in water status, ion contents and photosynthetic properties of Shepherdia argentea (Pursh) Nutt. Seedlings. Plant Soil Environ. 56: 325–332Google Scholar
- Tzortzakis NG. 2009. Effect of pre-sowing treatment on seed germination and seedling vigour in endive and chicory. Hort. Sci. (Prague) 36: 117–125Google Scholar
- Zhu J, Kang H, Tan H, Xu M. 2006. Effect of drought stresses induced by polyethylen glycol on germination of Pinus sylvestris var. Mongolica seeds from natural and plantation forests on sandy land. J. For. Res. 11: 319–328Google Scholar