The complete mitochondrial genome of giant clam, Hippopus hippopus (Cardiidae: Tridacninae)
- 182 Downloads
We report the recovery and characterization of the complete mitochondrial genome of commercially and ecologically important giant clam, Hippopus hippopus. The total length of H. hippopus mitogenome was 22,463 bps (bp), comprising13 protein-coding genes, 23 tRNA genes, 2 rRNA genes and a non-coding control region. The control region was 3508 bp long and located between the trnM-atg and COX2 genes. We found the atp8 gene between trnF-ttc and NAD4 in the mitogenome of H. hippopus, which was absent in another giant clam species, Tridacna squamosa, as well as other bivalve species. Our new and first data of the complete H. hippopus mitogenome will offer genetic information that will be useful for furthering conservation genetics research of this threatened species.
KeywordsHippopus hippopus Mitochondrial genome Conservation genetics
We thank Dr. Neo Mei Lin for her help in proofreading this manuscript. This work was supported by National Science Foundation of China (31702340), Guangdong Natural Science Foundation (2017A030310442), STS project of Chinese Academy of Sciences (KFJ-EW-STS-123), Strategic pilot project of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (XDA13020200), Key projects of Chinese Academy of Sciences (KGZD-EW-609), China Agricultural ShellfishIndustry Technology System Project (CARS-49) and Science and Technology Planning Project of Guangdong Province, China (2017B030314052).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors report no conflicts of interest, and are alone responsible for the content and writing of the paper.
- Meng XP, Zhao NN, Shen X, Hao J, Liang M, Zhu XL, Cheng HL, Yan BL, Liu ZP (2012) Complete mitochondrial genome of Coelomactraantiquata (Mollusca: Bivalvia): the first representative from the family Mactridae with novel gene order and unusual tandem repeats. Compar Biochem Physiol D 7:175–179Google Scholar
- Neo ML, Wabnitz CCC, Braley RD, Heslinga GA, Fauvelot C, Van Wynsberge S, Andréfouët S, Waters C, Tan AS-H, Gomez ED, Costello MJ, Todd PA (2017) Chapter 4. Giant clams (Bivalvia: Cardiidae: Tridacninae): a comprehensive update of species and their distribution, current threats and conservation status. Oceanogr Mar Biol 55:87–388Google Scholar
- Rosewater J (1965) The family Tridacnidae in the Indo-Pacific. Indo-Pacific Mollusca 1:347–394Google Scholar
- Wells S (1996) The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 1996. IUCN Global Species Programme Red List Unit, Cambridge. http://www.iucnredlist.org/. Accessed 23 Jan 2018
- Zhan A, Bailey SA, Heath DD, Macisaac HJ (2014) Performance comparison of genetic markers for high-throughput sequencing based biodiversity assessment in complex communities. Mol Ecol Resour 14:1049–1059Google Scholar