The complete mitochondrial genome of the long-lived Greenland shark (Somniosus microcephalus): characterization and phylogenetic position
- 578 Downloads
The Greenland shark (Somniosus microcephalus) has recently been identified as the world’s longest-living vertebrate animal, which raises conservational concern in light of recently high bycatch. We report the complete mitochondrial genome of S. microcephalus to be 16,730 bp and composed by 13 protein-coding genes, two rRNA genes, 22 tRNA genes, and a control region. The overall nucleotide composition was 30.8% A, 29.9% T, 14.5% G, and 24.9% C, with a total of 39.4% GC content. Phylogenetic analysis confirmed the position of S. microcephalus in the traditional tree of sharks. The availability of the S. microcephalus mitogenome will contribute to further conservational genetic studies of a unique species, listed as ‘data deficient’ on the Norwegian Red List and ‘near threatened’ on the IUCN Red list.
KeywordsMitogenome Phylogeny Squaliformes Next generation sequencing
We would like to thank Tanja L. Hanebrekke for the laboratory assistance and the Greenland Institute of Natural Resources for providing the sample. We also thank the participants in the ‘Old and cold – Biology of the Greenland shark’ project and the TUNU-MAFIG program.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors report no conflicts of interest. The authors alone are responsible for the content and writing of the paper.
- Chai A, Yamaguchi A, Furumitsu K, Zhang J (2014) Mitochondrial genome of Japanese angel shark Squatina japonica (Chondrichthyes: Squatinidae). Mitochondr DNA Part A 1736:1–2Google Scholar
- Henriksen S, Hilmo O (2015) Norsk rødliste for arter (Artsdatabanken, Norge, 2015) (in Norwegian) Google Scholar
- Kyne PM, Sherrill-Mix SA, Burgess GH (2006) Somniosus microcephalus. The IUCN red list of threatened species. Version 2015-4. http://www.iucnredlist.org. Accessed 8 Oct 2015