Isolation and characterization of thirty microsatellite loci for Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus L.)
- 140 Downloads
Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus L.) is a widely distributed commercially important pelagic species. Little is known about the stock structure of this species, but it is thought to be undergoing a range extension due to environmental changes. Knowledge of the stock structure under these changing conditions is fundamental for effective management. In this paper, 30 highly polymorphic microsatellite loci developed with next generation sequencing are described. The number of alleles per locus ranged from 4 to 39 in two geographically distant populations, observed and expected heterozygosities ranged between 0.370–0.978 and 0.426–0.962, respectively. These loci are an important resource that will allow assessment of the current population genetic structure of this species, and enable monitoring of climate related changes in the species range and distribution.
KeywordsAtlantic mackerel Next generation sequencing Microsatellite Genotyping
The authors thank Alexandra M. Klonowski, Ágústa Sigfúsdóttir, Steinunn Magnúsdóttir and Snædís Björnsdóttir for laboratory assistance. This research was supported by The Fisheries Research Fund of the Icelandic Ministry of Fisheries and Agriculture and NORA-Nordic Atlantic Cooperation.
- Collette BB, Carpenter KE, Polidoro BA, Juan-Jorda MJ, Boustany A, Die DJ, Elfes C, Fox W, Graves J, Harrison LR, McManus R, Minte-Vera CV, Nelson R, Restrepo V, Schratwieser J, Sun CL, Amorim A, Brick Peres M, Canales C, Cardenas G, Chang SK, Chiang WC, de Oliveira Leite N Jr, Harwell H, Lessa R, Fredou FL, Oxenford HA, Serra R, Shao KT, Sumaila R, Wang SP, Watson R, Yanez E (2011) High value and long life-double jeopardy for tunas and billfishes. Science 333(6040):291–292. doi: 10.1126/science.1208730 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Drummond AJ, Ashton B, Buxton S, Cheung M, Cooper A, Duran C, Field M, Heled J, Kearse M, Markowitz S, Moir R, Stones-Havas S, Sturrock S, Thierer T, Wilson A (2011) Geneious v5.5.6. available from http//www.geneious.com
- ICES (2012) Report of the Working Group on Widely Distributed Stocks (WGWIDE), 21–27 Aug 2012, Lowestoft, United Kingdom. ICES CM 2012/ACOM:15. 931 ppGoogle Scholar
- IUCN (2012) IUCN red list of threatened species. Version 2012.2. www.iucnredlist.org. Downloaded on 09 Nov 2012
- Libungan LA, Olafsdottir G, Skirnisdottir S, Palsson S, Pampoulie C, Bjornsdottir SH, Olafsson K, Oskarsson GJ, Danielsdottir AK (2012) Fourteen new microsatellite markers for Atlantic herring Clupea harengus. J Fish Biol 81(4):1422–1426. doi: 10.1111/j.1095-8649.2012.03391.x PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Raymond M, Rousset F (1995) Genepop (version 1.2) population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J Hered 86(3):248–249Google Scholar