Development and characterization of ten microsatellite loci for the reef manta ray Manta alfredi
- 308 Downloads
We isolated and characterised ten microsatellite loci from the reef manta ray, Manta alfredi. Loci were screened for 60 individuals from Japan. The number of alleles per locus ranged from 2 to 10 and observed heterozygosity ranged from 0.033 to 0.867. Cross-species amplification was successful in the sister species M. birostris (9/10 loci) and other mobulids, Mobula japanica (7/10), M. thurstoni (8/10) and M. tarapacana (5/10). These loci provide new tools for assessing population genetic structuring and genetic monitoring.
KeywordsManta alfredi Manta birostris Mobula japanica Mobula thurstoni Mobula tarapacana Mobulidae Microsatellites Effective population size Ne Sibship Parentage Population structure Reef manta ray Giant manta ray IUCN
We sincerely thank Takashi Ito, Fumihiko Sato, Andrea Marshall and William White for tissue samples. We also thank Raewyn Street and Jess Morgan for laboratory and bioinformatics assistance. This work was funded by Sea World Research and Rescue Foundation Inc., the Queensland Government and The University of Queensland. All procedures were conducted in accordance to animal ethics approval certificate SBMS/206/11/ARC. Manuscript preparation was partially supported by the DOE under Award Number DE-FC09-07SR22506 to the University of Georgia Research Foundation.
- Dudgeon CL, Blower DC, Broderick D, Giles JL, Holmes BJ, Kashiwagi T, Krück NC, Morgan JAT, Tillett BJ, Ovenden JR (2012) A review of the application of molecular genetics for fisheries management and conservation of sharks and rays. J Fish Biol 80(5):1789–1843. doi: 10.1111/j.1095-8649.2012.03265.x PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dulvy NK, Baum J, Clarke S, Compagno LJV, Cortés E, Domingo A, Fordham S, Fowler S, Francis M, Gibson C, Martínez J, Musick JA, Soldo A, Stevens JD, Valenti S (2008) You can swim but you can’t hide: the global status and conservation of oceanic pelagic sharks and rays. Aquat Conserv 18:459–482CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Marshall AD, Compagno LJV, Bennett MB (2009) Redescription of genus Manta with resurrection of Manta alfredi (Krefft, 1868) (Chondrichthyes; Myliobatoidei; Mobulidae). Zootaxa 2301:1–28Google Scholar
- Marshall AD, Bennett MB, Kodja G, Hinojosa-Alvarez S, Galván-Magaña F, Harding M, Stevens G, Kashiwagi T (2011a) Manta birostris. IUCN 2011. IUCN red list of threatened species. Version 2011.2. www.iucnredlist.org. Accessed 12 June 2012
- Marshall AD, Kashiwagi T, Bennett MB, Deakos M, Stevens G, McGregor F, Clark T, Ishihara H, Sato K (2011b) Manta alfredi. IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. www.iucnredlist.org. Accessed 12 June 2012
- Staden R, Beal KF, Bonfield JK (1998) The STADEN Package, 1998. Methods Mol Biol 132:115–130Google Scholar