Isolation and characterization of 14 microsatellite markers for Rhizophora mucronata (Rhizophoraceae) and their potential use in range-wide population studies
- 336 Downloads
A set of 14 new microsatellite markers was developed for mangrove species Rhizophora mucronata (Rhizophoraceae) by using pyrosequencing. Fifty-six samples from 9 populations of R. mucronata in the Indo-West Pacific region were genotyped; all loci were polymorphic, with the number of alleles ranging from 2 to 9. The mean expected heterozygosity per locus was 0.16 in a population from Sabah, no significant linkage disequilibrium was found among loci, and significant deviation from Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium was found in 3 loci. The polymorphic microsatellite markers with samples covering most of the species’ distribution range can be applied in genetic diversity studies covering a broad geographical range of the species.
KeywordsGenetic diversity Mangrove Pyrosequencing SSR
The authors thank Drs. Sanjay Deshmukh (Mumbai), Romanus Prabowo (Java), Jurgenne Primavera (Panay), Monica Suleiman (Sabah), Mrs. Katy Beaver (PCA, Seychelles) and Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Region VI (Panay) for field works to collect materials. We also thank Mr. Junya Ono, Mr. Tsuyoshi Takano and Mr. Futa Yamaji for their help in DNA extraction. This work was supported by the Singapore Ministry of Education (grant number R154-000-440-112), by the JSPS KAKENHI 22405005 to TK, and JSPS JENESYS Programme 2009 and 2011 to the Graduate School of Science, Chiba University.
- Brownstein M, Carpten J, Smith J (1996) Modulation of non-templated nucleotide addition by Taq DNA polymerase: primer modifications that facilitate genotyping. Biotechniques 20(1004–1006):1008–1010Google Scholar
- Doyle JJ, Doyle JL (1987) A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochem Bull 19:11–15Google Scholar
- Duke NC (2006) Rhizophora apiculata, R. mucronata, R. stylosa, R. × annamalai, R. × lamarckii (Indo-West Pacific stilt mangrove). In: Elevitch CR (ed) Traditional trees of pacific islands—their culture, environment, and use. Permanent Agriculture Resources, Holualoa, pp 641–660Google Scholar
- Raymond M, Rousset F (1995) GENEPOP (Version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J Hered 86:248–249Google Scholar
- Spalding M, Kainuma M, Collins L (2010) World atlas of mangroves. Earthscan, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Takayama K, Lopez PS, Konig C, Kohl G, Novak J, Stuessy TF (2011) A simple and cost-effective approach for microsatellite isolation in non-model plant species using small-scale 454 pyrosequencing. Taxon 60:1442–1449Google Scholar