Development and characterization of 15 polymorphic microsatellite loci in Sonneratia alba (Lythraceae) using next-generation sequencing
- 324 Downloads
A set of 15 new microsatellite loci was developed and characterized for the widespread mangrove tree species Sonneratia alba (Lythraceae) by using next-generation sequencing. Forty-eight S. alba samples from seven populations in the Indo-West Pacific region were genotyped; all loci were polymorphic, with the number of alleles ranging from three to eight. The mean observed heterozygosity per locus was 0.21 for a population from Sabah, Malaysia. No null allele or significant linkage disequilibrium was detected, indicating the robustness of the markers. Only one locus (SA103) showed deviation from Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium. As characterization of these microsatellite loci was done with samples covering most of the species’ distribution range, the markers can be applied to genetic diversity studies over the broad geographical range of the species.
KeywordsConservation Diversity Mangrove Pyrosequencing SSR
The authors thank Drs. Sanjay Deshmukh (Mumbai), Romanus Prabowo (Java), Jurgenne Primavera (Panay), Monica Suleiman (Sabah), Mr. Seigo Murakami (KKWC) and Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Region VI (Panay) for field works to collect materials. We also thank Mr. Junya Ono, Mr. Tsuyoshi Takano and Mr. Futa Yamaji for their help in DNA extraction. This work was supported by the Singapore Ministry of Education (grant number R154-000-440-112), by the JSPS KAKENHI 22405005 to TK, and JSPS JENESYS Programme 2009 and 2011 to the Graduate School of Science, Chiba University.
- Brownstein M, Carpten J, Smith J (1996) Modulation of non-templated nucleotide addition by Taq DNA polymerase: primer modifications that facilitate genotyping. Biotechniques 20(1004–1006):1008–1010Google Scholar
- Doyle JJ, Doyle JL (1987) A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochem Bull 19:11–15Google Scholar
- Duke NC, Meynecke JO, Dittmann S et al (2007) A world without mangroves? Science 317:41–42Google Scholar
- Goudet J (2001) FSTAT (Version 2.9.3.): a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indicesGoogle Scholar
- Raymond M, Rousset F (1995) GENEPOP (Version 1.2): Population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J Hered 86:248–249Google Scholar
- Spalding M, Kainuma M, Collins L (2010) World Atlas of mangroves. Earthscan, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Takayama K, Lopez PS, Konig C, Kohl G, Novak J, Stuessy TF (2011) A simple and cost-effective approach for microsatellite isolation in non-model plant species using small-scale 454 pyrosequencing. Taxon 60:1442–1449Google Scholar