Characterization of 41 microsatellite loci developed from the genome sequence of the poplar rust fungus, Melampsora larici-populina
- 102 Downloads
Forty-one microsatellite markers were developed for the poplar rust fungus Melampsora larici-populina. The genome sequence of M. larici-populina strain 98AG31 was screened in silico for microsatellite loci using Magellan software. Thirty-nine loci, evaluated on a sexual population of 35 M. larici-populina isolates sampled on larch trees in the French Alps, were identified to be highly polymorphic. These markers revealed two to 34 alleles, with an average of 7.23 alleles per locus. The estimated heterozygosity ranged from 0.029 to 0.958 across the 41 microsatellite loci. These markers will be highly useful for population genetics studies of M. larici-populina.
KeywordsBasidiomycete Melampsoralarici-populina Poplar rust fungus Genome sequence Microsatellites M13-tailed primer method
This research was supported by grants from ECOGER (AIP 00295-298, InterPopGer program), ANR (ANR 07-BDIV-003, Emerfundis program), INRA, and a fellowship from the French Ministry of Education and Research (MESR) to CX. We would like to thank the US Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute (http://www.jgi.doe.gov/) and the Melampsora Genome Consortium (http://mycor.nancy.inra.fr/genomeResources.php) for access to the M. larici-populina genome sequence prior to publication. We are grateful to Sébastien Duplessis, Francis Martin, Jessy Labbé and Marie-Pierre Oudot-Le Secq (INRA, Nancy) for fruitful discussions.
- Barrès B, Dutech C, Andrieux A, Caron H, Pinon J, Frey P (2006) Isolation and characterization of 15 microsatellite loci in the poplar rust fungus, Melampsora larici-populina, and cross-amplification in related species. Mol Ecol Notes 6:60–64. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-8286.2005.01137.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Barrès B, Halkett F, Dutech C, Andrieux A, Pinon J, Frey P (2008) Genetic structure of the poplar rust fungus Melampsora larici-populina: evidence for isolation by distance in Europe and recent founder effects overseas. Infect Genet Evol 8:577–587. doi: 10.1016/j.meegid.2008.04.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Belkhir K, Borsa P, Goudet J, Chikhi L, Bonhomme F (2000) Genetix v. 4.05. Logiciel Sous Windows TM, Pour la Génétique Des Populations. Laboratoire Génome, Populations, Interactions. CNRS UMR 5000, Université de Montpellier II, Montpellier, FranceGoogle Scholar
- Raymond M, Rousset F (1995) GenePop (Version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J Heredity 86:248–249Google Scholar
- Rozen S, Skaletsky H (2000) Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologists programmers. In: Krawetz S, Misener S (eds) Bioinformatics methods and protocols: methods in molecular biology. Humana Press, Totowa, pp 365–386Google Scholar