Spontaneous Deposition of Iridium onto Nickel Substrates for the Oxygen Evolution Reaction
- 504 Downloads
Spontaneous deposition of Ir onto Ni substrates was investigated as a method to produce electrocatalytic layers for the oxygen evolution reaction in 30 % KOH solution. UV/Vis spectroscopy, cyclic voltammetry and other electrochemical methods are used to investigate the deposition process and the activity of the electrocatalytic coating towards the oxygen evolution reaction. From three solutions (IrCl3+HCl, H2IrCl6+HCl and H2IrCl6), H2IrCl6 is shown to give the most active and stable coating, with deposition times of 45 min at 60∘C enough to increase the activity of the Ni substrate for the oxygen evolution reaction. It is proposed that Ir deposition can occur via the reduction of the Ir precursor coupled to Ni oxidation, as well as the hydrolysis and localised precipitation of the Ir precursor due to the increase in surface pH during Ni dissolution.
KeywordsIridium oxide Nickel oxide Oxygen evolution reaction Alkaline water electrolysis Electrocatalysis
Funding for this work has been provided under MSI Contract C08X1002. We thank Mike Flaws and Tobias Baldhoff for assistance with the SEM and EDS analysis.
- 5.H. Miao, D. Piron, Electrodeposition of Ni-transition alloys for the oxygen evolution reaction. J. Appl. Electrochem. 21(1), 55–59 (January 1991)Google Scholar
- 12.Hong N. Nong, O. Hyung-Suk, T. Reier, E. Willinger, M.-G. Willinger, V. Petkov, D. Teschner, P. Strasser, Oxide-supported IrNiOx coreShell particles as efficient, cost-effective, and stable catalysts for electrochemical water splitting. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 54(10), 2975–2979 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.M. Schnippering, P. Unwin, J. Hult, T. Laurila, C. Kaminski, J. Langridge, R. Jones, M. Mazurenka, S. Mackenzie, Evanescent wave broadband cavity enhanced absorption spectroscopy using supercontinuum radiation: a new probe of electrochemical processes. Electrochem. Commun. 10(12), 1827–1830 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.X. Di, P. Diao, T. Jin, Q. Wu, X. Liu, X. Guo, H. Gong, F. Li, M. Xiang, Y. Ronghai, Iridium oxide nanoparticles and iridium/iridium oxide nanocomposites: photochemical fabrication and application in catalytic reduction of 4-Nitrophenol. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces. 7(30), 16738–16749 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.S.R. Mellsop, A. Gardiner, A.T. Marshall, Electrocatalytic oxygen evolution on electrochemically deposited cobalt oxide films: comparison with thermally deposited films and effect of thermal treatment. Electrocatalysis, 1–11 (2014)Google Scholar
- 29.M. Pourbaix. Atlas of electrochemical equilibria in aquesous solutions (Pergamon Press, New York, 1966)Google Scholar