Personalized Health Tracking with Edge Computing Technologies
The health monitoring component is the essential block, a pillar of several e-health systems. Plenty of health tracking applications and specific technologies such as smart devices, wearables, and data management systems are available. To be effective, promptly reacting to issues, a health monitoring service must ensure short delays in data sensing, collection, and processing activities. This is an open problem that distributed computing paradigms, such as Internet of Things (IoT), Cloud, and Edge computing, could address. The solution proposed in this paper is based on Stack4Things, an IoT-Cloud framework to manage edge nodes such as mobiles, smart objects, network devices, workstations, as a whole, a computing infrastructure allowing to provide resources on-demand, as services, to end users. Through Stack4Things facilities, the health tracking system can locate the closer computing resource to offload processing and thus reducing latency per the Edge computing paradigm.
KeywordsHealth monitoring IoT Cloud Edge computing Stack4Things
- 1.WAMP [URL]. Http://wamp.wsGoogle Scholar
- 2.Davis, A., Parikh, J., Weihl, W.E. (2004). Edge computing: extending enterprise applications to the edge of the internet. In: WWW Alt. ‘04: Proceedings of the 13th international World Wide Web conference on Alternate track papers & posters, pp. 180–187. ACM, New York, NY, USAGoogle Scholar
- 3.Distefano, S., Merlino, G., Puliafito, A. (2012) Sensing and actuation as a service: A new development for clouds. In: Proceedings of the 2012 I.E. 11th International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications, NCA ‘12. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA. pp. 272–275 doi: 10.1109/NCA.2012.38.
- 4.Distefano, S., Merlino, G., Puliafito, A. (2016) Device-centric sensing: an alternative to data-centric approaches. IEEE Systems Journal p. Available online at: doi: 10.1109/JSYST.2015.2448533.
- 5.Merlino, G., Bruneo, D., Distefano, S., Longo, F., Puliafito, A.: Stack4Things: Integrating IoT with Openstack in a smart city context. In: Smart Computing Workshops (SMARTCOMP), Int. Conf. on, pp. 21–28 (2014). doi: 10.1109/SMARTCOMP-W.2014.7046678
- 6.Nalin, M., Baroni, I., Mazzara, M.: Encyclopedia of E-Health and Telemedicine, chap. A Holistic Infrastructure to Support Elderlies’ Independent Living. IGI Global (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.The Openstack Community: OpenStack Cloud Software: open source software for building private and public clouds (2011). Http://www.openstack.org/