Generation of Plasmid DNA Expressing Species-Specific Horse VEGF164 and FGF2 Factors for Gene Therapy
- 120 Downloads
In this study, we have generated a dual expression cassette plasmid DNA (pDNA) construct containing the species-specific horse (Equus caballus) codon optimized sequence encoding potent pro-angiogenic vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF164) and basic fibroblast growth factor (FGF2) under eukaryotic promoters (EF-1α and CMV promoters, respectively). We have demonstrated effective and simultaneous recombinant proteins expression in vitro. Resulting pDNA is suitable for potential gene therapy applications in horses.
KeywordsPlasmid DNA Gene therapy Horse Vascular endothelial growth factor 164 Fibroblast growth factor 2
This work is performed according to the Russian Government Program of Competitive Growth of Kazan Federal University and subsidy allocated to Kazan Federal University for the state assignment in the sphere of scientific activities. Some of the experiments were conducted using the equipment of Interdisciplinary center for collective use of Kazan Federal University supported by the Ministry of Education of Russia (ID RFMEFI59414X0003), Interdisciplinary Center for Analytical Microscopy, and Pharmaceutical Research and Education Center, Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University, Kazan, Russia.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflicts of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 1.Rizvanov, A. A, Guseva, D. S., Salafutdinov, I. I., Kudryashova, N. V, Bashirov, F. V, Kiyasov, A. P., … Islamov, R. R. (2011). Genetically modified human umbilical cord blood cells expressing vascular endothelial growth factor and fibroblast growth factor 2 differentiate into glial cells after transplantation into amyotrophic lateral sclerosis transgenic mice. Experimental Biology and Medicine (Maywood, N.J.)., 236(1), 91–98. doi: 10.1258/ebm.2010.010172.
- 2.Adas, G., Percem, A., Adas, M., Kemik, O., Arikan, S., Ustek, D., … Karatepe, O. (2011). VEGF-A and FGF gene therapy accelerate healing of ischemic colonic anastomoses (experimental study). International Journal of Surgery, 9(6), 467–471. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2011.05.002.
- 5.Lee, T. J., Jang, J., Kang, S., Jin, M., Shin, H., Kim, D. W., et al. (2013). Enhancement of osteogenic and chondrogenic differentiation of human embryonic stem cells by mesodermal lineage induction with BMP-4 and FGF2 treatment. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 430(2), 793–797. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2012.11.067.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kühn, M. C., Willenberg, H. S., Schott, M., Papewalis, C., Stumpf, U., Flohé, S., … Schinner, S. (2012). Adipocyte-secreted factors increase osteoblast proliferation and the OPG/RANKL ratio to influence osteoclast formation. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 349(2), 180–188. doi: 10.1016/j.mce.2011.10.018
- 7.Points to consider on plasmid DNA vaccines for preventive infectious disease indications. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/Vaccines/ucm091968.pdf.
- 8.Content and Review of Chemistry, Manufacturing, and Control (CMC) Information for human gene therapy investigational new drug applications (INDs). Food and Drug Administration (FDA). http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/Xenotransplantation/ucm092705.pdf.
- 9.Guideline on the non-clinical studies required before first clinical use of gene therapy medicinal products. European Medicines Agency (EMA). http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2009/09/WC500003942.pdf.
- 10.Guideline on follow-up of patients administered with gene therapy medicinal products. European Medicines Agency (EMA). http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2009/11/WC500013424.pdf.
- 11.Reflection paper on design modifications of gene therapy medicinal products during development. European Medicines Agency (EMA). http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2012/02/WC500122743.pdf.
- 12.pBudCE4.1 Mammalian expression vector. ThermoFisher Scientific. https://tools.thermofisher.com/content/sfs/vectors/pbudce4_1_map.pdf.