Optimal day-ahead trading and storage of renewable energies—an approximate dynamic programming approach
- First Online:
- 359 Downloads
A renewable power producer who trades on a day-ahead market sells electricity under supply and price uncertainty. Investments in energy storage mitigate the associated financial risks and allow for decoupling the timing of supply and delivery. This paper introduces a model of the optimal bidding strategy for a hybrid system of renewable power generation and energy storage. We formulate the problem as a continuous-state Markov decision process and present a solution based on approximate dynamic programming. We propose an algorithm that combines approximate policy iteration with Least Squares Policy Evaluation (LSPE) which is used to estimate the weights of a polynomial value function approximation. We find that the approximate policies produce significantly better results for the continuous state space than an optimal discrete policy obtained by linear programming. A numerical analysis of the response surface of rewards on model parameters reveals that supply uncertainty, imbalance costs and a negative correlation of market price and supplies are the main drivers for investments in energy storage. Supply and price autocorrelation, on the other hand, have a negative effect on the value of storage.
KeywordsRenewable energies Energy storage Day-ahead market Optimal bidding strategy Approximate dynamic programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bertsekas, D.: Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control, 3rd edn., vol. 2. Athena Scientific, Nashua (2007) Google Scholar
- 9.Gujarati, D.N.: Basic Econometrics, 5th edn. McGraw–Hill, New York (2009) Google Scholar
- 13.Neubarth, J., Woll, O., Weber, C., Gerecht, M.: Beeinflussung der Spotmarktpreise durch Windstromerzeugung. Energiewirtsch. Tagesfr. 56(7), 42–45 (2006) Google Scholar
- 16.Schainker, R.B.: Executive overview: energy storage options for a sustainable energy future. In: IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, pp. 2309–2314. IEEE Press, New York (2004) Google Scholar
- 17.Sutton, R.S., Barto, A.G.: Reinforcement Learning: An Introduction. MIT Press, Cambridge (1998) Google Scholar
- 18.Wen, F., David, A.K.: Strategic bidding in competitive electricity markets: a literature survey. In: IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, pp. 2168–2173 (2000) Google Scholar