Experimental Analysis and Prediction of Springback in V-bending Process of High-Tensile Strength Steels
- 45 Downloads
Experimental setup has been designed, to study the effects of thickness, width, bend angle and machine tool parameters on the springback, in two high-tensile strength steel grades, namely JSC440 and JSC590, during the V-bending process. Relationship between the springback and the parameters are analyzed using plots. Optimal combination of parameters for the minimum springback is evaluated. Analysis of variance has been carried out to analyze the magnitude of influence of these parameters on the springback. Using the experimental results, analytical models for the prediction of springback for the combinations of blank thickness, width, bend angle and machine tool parameters have been developed. Results reveal that in V-bending of JSC440, thickness and width are the dominant factors influencing the springback, whereas in JSC590 steel, insignificant change in springback is observed with the change in width of blank and using the hydraulic press with holding. However, thickness of steel sheet and bend angle influence significantly the springback in JSC590 steels.
KeywordsHigh tensile strength Sheet-metals V-bending Springback JSC440 JSC590
We are thankful to Mr. Fahad Qamar, Mr. Sadequain, Mr. Ozair Mustafa, Mr. Sohaib Ahmed Khan and Mr. Arsalan Zaidi for providing assistance in experimentation and arrangements in the tool design laboratory.
This research project is funded by the NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi.
- 1.Kalpakjian S, Schmid S, Manufacturing Engineering and Technology (7th), Pearson Higher Ed., London (2013).Google Scholar
- 2.Lang K, Hand Book of Metal Forming (2nd), Society of Manufacturing Engineering, Dearborn (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.Dong-juan Z, Zhen-shan C, Zhi-ying C, and Xue-yu R, J Zhejiang Univ-SC A8 (2007) 237.Google Scholar
- 11.Slota J, and Jurcisin M, Mechanika284 (2012) 55.Google Scholar
- 24.Minitab, Minitab LLC. USA (2019). www.minitab.com.
- 25.MATLAB, Mathworks Inc. USA (2019). https://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab.html.