Microstructure, Thermal, Thermo-mechanical and Fracture Analyses of Hybrid AA2024-SiC Alloy Composites
- 27 Downloads
This research work aims to investigate the inter-correlation between microstructure, thermal (thermal conductivity, thermo-gravimetric analysis), thermo-mechanical (dynamic mechanical analysis) and fracture characteristics of hybrid AA2024-SiC alloy composites fabricated via semi-automatic stir-casting process, as per standard industrial practice. Silicon Carbide (SiC) particulates of varying amount (0–6 wt%; @ step of 2%) were used to reinforce master batch of AA2024 wrought alloy, Silicon Nitride (Si3N4) and graphite particulates. The thermal conductivity and storage-modulus magnitudes of alloy composites have shown diminishing trend with hard SiC reinforcing phase, while material stability, viscous modulus, damping factor and fracture toughness have shown significant improvement. Uniform dispersion and better interfacial adhesion between matrix–reinforcement were observed from metallographic examination. The XRD analysis identified the different phases of the hybrid alloy composites. The trends in variations of physical, mechanical and tribological properties were supported by microstructure analysis, thermal analysis, thermo-mechanical analysis and fracture analysis.
KeywordsAA2024 alloy composites Thermo-Gravimetric Analysis (TGA) Thermal conductivity Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA) Fracture analysis X-ray diffraction (XRD) Microstructure
The authors express their sincere gratitude to Department of Mechanical Engineering of Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur-302017, Rajasthan, India, for their financial as well as other miscellaneous infrastructural support. The authors also acknowledge the aid and facilities provided by Advanced Research Lab for Tribology and Material Research Centre of the Institute for experimentation and characterization work.
- 16.S A Mohan Krishna, Ijmer 4 (2014) 53.Google Scholar
- 17.Földvári M, Handbook of thermogravimetric system of minerals and its use in geological practice, Occasional Papers of the Geological Institute of Hungary 213 (2011).Google Scholar
- 18.Chu H P, Parker B H, Flom Y, Fracture Toughness of SiC/Al Metal Matrix Composite, NASA Technical Memorandum 100745 (1989).Google Scholar
- 19.Mamatha T G, Thermo-mechanical, fracture and erosive wear analysis of particulate filled hybrid metal alloy composites, Ph D Thesis, National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur (2012).Google Scholar
- 25.Sastry S, Krishna M and Uchil J, Proc. Second Int. Conf. Process. Mater. Prop. 314 (2000) 268.Google Scholar
- 26.Menard K P, Dynamic Mechanical Analysis: A Practical Introduction ISBN 0-8493-8688-8 CRC Press LLC, United States of America (1999).Google Scholar