Development and Characterization of MgO Coatings on 316L Stainless Steel
- 46 Downloads
The present work deals with the development of MgO coatings on ASTM 316L stainless steel using pulsed laser deposition technique employing KrF excimer laser (λ = 248 nm). Two important process variables, namely oxygen partial pressure and substrate temperature, were varied to get uniform coatings. The process parameters were optimized based on the microstructure and uniformity of the coatings, which had the direct bearing on the performance of the coating. Structural, morphological and microstructural characterizations of the coatings were carried out using X-ray diffraction (XRD) and scanning electron microscopy (SEM) with energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. While XRD studies confirmed the phase purity and the strain associated with the coating and the substrate, SEM studies revealed the microstructural integrity and morphology of the coatings in addition to establishing the chemistry of coatings. Field testing of the coatings for their sodium compatibility, particularly in aggressive conditions of incineration, confirmed the successful performance of the coatings.
KeywordsMgO coatings Pulsed laser deposition X-ray diffraction Surface morphology
The authors are thankful to Dr. S. Raju, Head, PMD, Dr. Saroja Saibaba, AD, MCG, Dr. G. Amarendra, Director, Metallurgy and Materials Group, and Dr. A.K Bhaduri, Director, IGCAR, for the constant support and encouragement during the course of the present work.
- 1.Javadian S, Electrolytic deposition of MgO on stainless steel substrate, Thesis of University of Saskatchewan (2013).Google Scholar
- 7.Rempe J L, Knudson D L, Condie K G, and Swank W D, Suh K Y, Cheung F-B, and Kim S-B, in Proceedings of ICONE12, 12th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering, April 25–29, 2004, Arlington, VA, USA (2005).Google Scholar
- 9.Borgstedt H U, in Materials Issues for Generation IV Systems. Springer, Dordrecht (2008), p 461.Google Scholar
- 10.Meacham S A, Compatibility of Refractory Materials with Boiling Sodium, No. CONF-760503-13. Westinghouse Electric Corp., Madison, PA, USA. Advanced Reactors Division (1976).Google Scholar
- 14.Sree Harsha K S, Principle of Vapour Deposition of Thin films, Elsevier Ltd., Amsterdam (2006) ISBN: 978-0-08-044699-8.Google Scholar