Interpretation of groundwater hydrographs in the West Thessaly basin, Greece, using principal component analysis
- 28 Downloads
The scope of this work is to elucidate the use of principal components analysis (PCA) as a tool to interpret the areal distribution of various types of ground water level fluctuation patterns within the Western Thessaly basin in Greece. In this area, intense water abstraction takes place during the last decades to cover the needs of agricultural activities and has impacted the ground water regime. Interpretation of ground water level measurements with PCA would allow stake holders involved in water management to closely monitor the aquifers piezometry, through the identification of certain target wells within larger groups of monitoring wells. In the present study, the application of the above methodology on existing monitoring data revealed nine representative monitoring wells in a total of 62. These target locations can be measured in the long term, allowing the collection of reliable water level data and thus the sustainable monitoring of the aquifers.
KeywordsGround water hydrographs Principal component analysis Overexploitation West Thessaly basin Geostatistics
The authors acknowledge the contribution of the Decentralized Administration Agency of Thessaly and Central Greece, for the kind supply of all necessary borehole data for the analysis.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
No conflict of interest emanates from this paper.
- Apostolidis E, Georgiou H (2007) Geotechnical research of the surface ground ruptures in Thessaly basin sites, recording and documentation. Institute of Geology and Mineral Exploration. Athens (unpublished report; in Greek). https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Apostolidis%2C%20E.%2C%20%26%20Georgiou%2C%20H.%20%282007%29.%20Geotechnical%20research%20of%20the%20surface%20ground%20ruptures%20in%20Thessaly%20basin%20sites%2C%20recording%20and%20documentation.%20Institute%20of%20Geology%20and%20Mineral%20Exploration%20%28IGME%29%2C%20Unpublished%20report%20%28in%20Greek%29
- Hydroerevna (1973) Ministry of National Economy—general direction of agriculture. Execution of 200 boreholes for the groundwater development in Thessaly (Unpublished report, Athens, Greece). https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Ministry%20of%20National%20Economy%20-%20General%20Direction%20of%20Agriculture.%20%281973%29.%20Execution%20of%20200%20boreholes%20for%20the%20groundwater%20development%20in%20Thessaly%2C%20Unpublished%20report%2C%20Athens%2C%20Greece
- Kallergis G (1970) Hydrogeological investigation of Kalambaka basin (Western Thessaly). Institute of Geology and Mineral Exploration (IGME), vol XIV, nο 1. Athens, pp 1–197. https://doi.org/10.12681/eadd/0308
- Marinos P, Thanos M, Perleros V, Kavadas M (1995) Water dynamic of Thessaly basin and the consequences from its overexploitation. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Hydrogeological Congress. Heraklion (in Greek). https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Marinos%2C%20P.%2C%20Thanos%2C%20M.%2C%20Perleros%2C%20V.%2C%20%26%20Kavadas%2C%20M.%20%281995%29.%20Water%20dynamic%20of%20Thessaly%20basin%20and%20the%20consequences%20from%20its%20overexploitation.%20Proceedings%20of%20the%203rd%20Hydrogeological%20Congress%2C%20Heraklion%2C%20Crete%20%28in%20Greek%29
- Marinos P, Perleros V, Kavadas M (1997) Deposited and karsic aquifers of Thessaly plain. New data for the status of their overexploitation. In: Proceedings of the 4th Hydrogeological Congress. Athens (in Greek). https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Marinos%2C%20P.%2C%20Perleros%2C%20V.%2C%20%26%20Kavadas%2C%20M.%20%281997%29.%20Deposited%20and%20karsic%20aquifers%20of%20Thessaly%20plain.%20New%20data%20for%20the%20status%20of%20their%20overexploitation.%20In%20Proceedings%20of%20the%204th%20Hydrogeological%20Congress%2C%20Athens%20%28in%20Greek%29
- Papanikolaou D (1986) Geology of Greece (in Greek), Eptalofos Publications, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Faculty of Geology and Geoenvironment. Athens, pp 136–138, 147–151, 157Google Scholar
- Sogreah SA (1974) Groundwater development project of the plain of Thessaly. Republic of Greece, Ministry of Agriculture, Directorate General of Agricultural Development and Research Land Reclamation Service, Athens. https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=SOGREAH%20SA%20%281974%29.%20Groundwater%20development%20project%20of%20the%20plain%20of%20Thessaly.%20Republic%20of%20Greece%2C%20Ministry%20of%20Agriculture%2C%20Directorate%20General%20of%20Agricultural%20Development%20and%20Research%20Land%20Reclamation%20Service%2C%20Athens
- Zhang RG (2012) Groundwater hydrograph patterns in north China plain during 1982–1986 interpreted using principal component analysis. Adv Mater Res 356–360:2320–2324Google Scholar