Effect of Topical Application of Pure Honey in Chemo-radiation-Induced Mucositis and Its Clinical Benefits in Improving Quality of Life in Patients of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma
- 87 Downloads
Oral cancer is a major health problem in India, and in certain parts, it represents more than 50% of all cancers. Since almost all of these patients receive chemo-radiotherapy with or without surgery for treatment, a vast majority of them also develop oral mucositis, a debilitating adverse effect of chemo-radiation. There have been various reports in the literature regarding the beneficial role of honey in the management of oral mucositis. The objective of this study was to investigate whether the application of honey in mucositis confers any significant improvement in lesions of mucositis and more specifically whether application of honey brings about any improvement in the quality of life of patients suffering from chemo-radiation-induced oral mucositis. If found to be beneficial, honey could provide a simple, elegant and cost-effective solution to a troublesome health problem, thus benefiting a large number of patients.
KeywordsOral squamous cell carcinoma Radiotherapy Mucositis Honey Quality of life
D.H contributed to data collection and processing, V.S helped in conception of idea and study design, S.M. revised the intellectual content, S.G. involved in study design and study parameters, U.S.P. made critical review, and M.P. participated in logistic support.
- 2.Crispian Scully, Cancers of the Oral Mucosa. http://emedicine.medscape. com/article/1075729-overview#a6
- 5.Sonis ST (2009) Mucositis: the impact, biology and therapeutic opportunities of oral mucositis. Oral Oncol 45:015–1020Google Scholar
- 6.Jeddar A, Kharsany A, Ramsaroop UG, Bhamjee A, Haffejee IE, Moosa A-S (1985) The antibacterial action of honey. An in vitro study. S Afr Med J 67(7):257–258Google Scholar
- 11.Motallebnejad M, Akram S, Moghadamnia A, Moulana Z, Omidi S (2008) The effect of topical application of pure honey on radiation-induced mucositis: a randomized clinical trial. J Contemp Dent Pract 9(3):40–47Google Scholar
- 18.Co JL, Mejia MBA, Que JC, Dizon JMR (2016) Effectiveness of honey on radiation-induced oral mucositis, time to mucositis, weight loss, and treatment interruptions among patients with head and neck malignancies: a meta-analysis and systematic review of literature. Head Neck 38(7):1119–1128CrossRefGoogle Scholar