Effect of Diode Laser on Healing of Tooth Extraction Socket: An Experimental Study in Rabbits
- 212 Downloads
To evaluate the effect of low-level laser therapy on healing of extracted tooth socket of healthy rabbits.
The sample of this study was 20 male rabbits of 2–2.5 kg weight with age range of 8–12 months. Right and left lower first premolar teeth were extracted. The extraction sockets of lower right first premolar were irradiated with 0.9 W gallium-aluminum-arsenide (GaAlAs) diode laser for 5 min, immediately after extraction and then every 72 h for the next 12 days. The extraction socket of left side were not exposed to laser and served as a control. The animals were sacrificed after 7, 14, 30 and 45 days and the experimental and control sockets were removed from the harvested mandibles and prepared for haematoxylin and eosin staining and Masson’s stain. The prepared slides were examined under light microscope for histological and histomorphometric examination.
The histological examination showed that diode laser-treated sockets demonstrated early formed new bone with faster maturation of primary bone to secondary bone as compared to non-treated control sockets. Histomorphometric analysis revealed a statistically significant increase in the density and volume of trabecular bone in laser-treated sockets than control sockets.
Diode laser application to tooth extraction socket has a positive effect on bone formation.
KeywordsDiode laser Healing Rabbit Tooth socket
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interests
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interests. All applicable international, national, and institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
- 1.Hita-Iglesias P, Torres-Lagares D, Flores-Ruiz R, Magallanes-Abad N, Basallote-Gonzalez M, Gutierrez-Perez J (2008) Effectiveness of chlorhexidine gel versus chlorhexidine rinse in reducing alveolar osteitis in mandibular third molar surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66(3):441–445PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Eshghpour M, Moradi A, Nejat AH (2013) Dry socket following tooth extraction in an Iranian Dental Center: incidence and risk factors. J Dent Mater Tech 2(3):86–91Google Scholar
- 21.Schmitz JP, Hollinger JO (1986) The critical size defect as an experimental model for craniomandibulofacial nonunions. Clin Orthop Relat Res 205:298–307Google Scholar
- 24.Garcia VG, da Conceição JM, Fernandes LA, de Almeida JM, Nagata MJ, Bosco AF, Theodoro LH (2013) Effects of LLLT in combination with bisphosphonate on bone healing in critical size defects: a histological and histometric study in rat calvaria. Lasers Med Sci 28(2):407–414PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Saygun I, Nizam N, Ural AU, Serdar MA, Avcu F, Tozum TF (2012) Low-level laser irradiation affects the release of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF), insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), and receptor of IGF-I (IGFBP3) from osteoblasts. Photomed Laser Surg 30(3):149–154PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar