Mid Versus Late Secondary Alveolar Cleft Grafting Using Iliac Crest Corticocancellous Bone Graft
- 198 Downloads
Mid-secondary alveolar cleft repair performed at ages 9–12, in the mixed dentition stage, prior to eruption of the permanent canine, is generally accepted as the ideal time for residual alveolar cleft closure in cleft lip and palate cases with a cleft alveolus.
In our study, four cases of mid-secondary and five cases of late–secondary alveolar cleft grafting were carried out using iliac crest corticocancellous bone graft. Clinical defect closure and radiographic bone fill were compared.
All the nine cases performed in the two different age groups showed excellent results, clinically, with complete closure of the cleft defect and achievement of continuity of the dental arches. One case was planned for a two-stage procedure owing to the large bilateral maxillary defects. Good bone fill was visualized radiographically in all nine cases.
Precise timing for undertaking alveolar cleft repair may not be all that crucial for a successful alveolar cleft grafting procedure.
KeywordsMid-secondary alveolar cleft grafting Late-secondary alveolar cleft grafting Iliac crest corticocancellous bone graft
Conflict of interest
- 9.El Deeb M (1989) Surgical management of alveolar cleft defects: when and How. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 47(Issue-8)Suppl 1:42–43Google Scholar
- 11.Spotlight DP (2002) Bone grafting materials: their uses, advantages and disadvantages. J Am Dental Assoc 133(Issue 8):1125–1126Google Scholar
- 13.Sadove AM, Eppley BL (1992) Timing of alveolar bone grafting: a surgeon’s viewpoint. Probl Plast Reconstr Surg 2:39Google Scholar
- 15.Lino M, Iishi H et al (2005) Comparison of intraoral radiography and computed tomography in evaluation of formation of bone after grafting for repair of residual alveolar defects in patients with cleft and palate. J Plast Surg Hand Surg 1:15–21Google Scholar
- 16.Semb G (1988) Effect of alveolar bone grafting on maxillary growth in unilateral cleft lip and palate patients. Cleft Plate J 25:288–295Google Scholar
- 17.Kessler P, Thorwarth M et al (2005) Harvesting of bone from the iliac crest: comparison of anterior and posterior sites. BJOMS 43:51–56Google Scholar
- 23.Boyne PJ, Sands NR (1972) Secondary bone grafting of residual alveolar and palatal clefts. J Oral Surg 30:870Google Scholar
- 25.Bjork A, Skiller V (1974) Growth in width of the maxilla studied by the implant method. Scand J Plast Recontr Surg 8:23–26Google Scholar