Nevoid-basal cell carcinoma syndrome: a case report and overview on diagnosis and management
- 72 Downloads
Nevoid Basal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome (NBCCS) is a rare condition characterized by varied clinical manifestations like multiple Basal Cell Carcinomas (BCC), multiple Keratocystic Odontogenic Tumours (KCOT), palmar and/or plantar pits and ectopic calcification of the falx cerebri, which are considered as the major criteria for diagnosis. The occurrence of jaw manifestations makes it an important diagnostic problem for oral and maxillofacial surgeons and often clinicians encounter this aspect which finally leads to the diagnosis of this syndrome. This paper reports a case of NBCCS and provides an overview on the diagnosis and management of this enigmatic entity.
KeywordsNevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome Gorlin-Goltz syndrome Keratocystic odontogenic tumour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Gorlin RJ, Goltz RW (1960) Multiple nevoid basal cell epithelioma, jaw cysts and bifid rib. A syndrome. N Engl J Med 262: 908–912Google Scholar
- 13.Hahn H, Wicking C, Zaphiropoulous PG, Gailani MR, Shanley S, Chidambaram A, Vorechovsky I, Holmberg E, Unden AB, Gillies S, Negus K, Smyth I, Pressman C, Leffell DJ, Gerrard B, Goldstein AM, Dean M, Toftgard R, Chenevix-Trench G, Wainwright B, Bale AE (1996) Mutations of the human homolog of drosophila patched in the nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome. Cell 85(6): 841–851CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Totten JR (1980) The multiple nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome. Report of its occurrence in four generations of a family. Cancer 46(6): 1456–1462Google Scholar
- 23.Brondum N, Jensen VJ (1991) Recurrence of keratocysts and decompression treatment. A long-term follow-up of forty-four cases. Oral Surg, Oral Med, Oral Pathol 72(3): 265–269Google Scholar
- 26.White JC (1894) Multiple benign cystic epitheliomas Journal of cutaneous and Genitourinary. Disease 12: 477–484Google Scholar