Keratocystic odontogenic tumor: a review
- 227 Downloads
The odontogenic keratocyst is a very well known odontogenic cyst. There are many types of cysts of the jaws, but what makes the odontogenic keratocyst unusual are its characteristic histopathological and clinical features, including potentially aggressive behaviour, high recurrence rate, and an association with the nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome. The characteristic histologic feature i.e. the presence of parakeratin, is unique amongst all the different inflammatory and developmental cysts that occur in the jaws. Many treatment modalities have been advocated for its treatment, but none in particular has been regarded as the best treatment option. The 2005 WHO classification now uses the term ‘keratocystic odontogenic tumor’. We present a review of treatment modalities of the KCOT.
KeywordsOdontogenic tumor Cyst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rajendran R (1999) Malignant transformation of odontogenic keratocyst: A case report. Ind J Oral Max Fac Surg 14(4): 24–28Google Scholar
- 4.Shear M (1960) Primordial cysts. The journal of dental association of South Africa 15: 211Google Scholar
- 25.Chye CH, Singh B (2005) Rapid cystic development in relation with an impacted lower third molar: A case report. Ann Acad Med, Singapore 34(1): 130–133Google Scholar
- 28.Tolstunov L, Treasure T (2008) Surgical Treatment Algorithm for Odontogenic Keratocyst: Combined Treatment of Odontogenic Keratocyst and Mandibular Defect with Marsupialization, Enucleation, Iliac Crest Bone Graft, and Dental Implants. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66(5): 1025–1036PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Forsell K (1980) The primordial cyst: a clinical and radiographic study. Proc Finn Dent Soc 76(3): 129–174Google Scholar
- 32.Scharfetter K, Balz-Herrmann C, Lagrange W, Koberg W, Mittermayer C (1989) Proliferation kinetics: study of the growth of keratocysts J Craniomaxillofac Surg 17(5): 226–233Google Scholar
- 51.Barnes L, Eveson JW, Reichart P, Sidransky D (2005) Pathology and genetics of head and neck tumours. Lyon: IARC Press; WHO classification of tumors series.Google Scholar