A reckoning algorithm for the prediction of arriving passengers for subway station networks
- 12 Downloads
Knowing the volume of arriving passengers (APs) is fundamental for optimizing their paths through subway stations and evacuating them under emergency conditions. To predict AP volume online, we first analyze arrival and departure parameters and discuss the relationships among various parameters to determine the train a passenger will most likely take. Interconnecting stations and transfer paths among stations are considered direct connections and direct transfer connections, respectively, to define and construct traveling route sets. Then, travel time chains (TTCs) of transfer and nontransfer passengers are constructed to illustrate the possible routes and time costs between the origin and destination (O/D) stations of passengers. Furthermore, based on TTCs, train capacities and the inbound and outbound times of passengers accessed from an automated fare collection system, we predict the AP volumes at specified stations using a stage-by-stage reckoning algorithm in real time. Finally, to validate the model and the algorithm, we estimate the AP volume for the Beijing Subway network.
KeywordsArrival passenger estimation Passenger flow distribution Travel time chains (TTCs) Reckoning algorithm Subway
This study is supported by the Beijing Municipal Natural Science Foundation (8162034) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. 2017YJS086).
- Avila-Torres P, Caballero R, Litvinchev I, Lopez-Irarragorri F, Vasant P (2017) The urban transport planning with uncertainty in demand and travel time: a comparison of two defuzzification methods. J Ambient Intell Hum Comput 9(3):843–856. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12652-017-0545-x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Daamen W, Bovy PHL, Hoogendoorn SP, van de Reijt Aukje (2005) Passenger route choice concerning level changes in railway stations. In: Transportation research board annual meeting 2005, pp 1–18Google Scholar
- Gokula Krishnan V, Sankar Ram N (2018) Analyze traffic forecast for decentralized multi agent system using I-ACO routing algorithm. J Ambient Intell Hum Comput. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12652-018-0981-2
- Liu J, Sun F, Bai Y, Juan XU (2009) Passenger flow route assignment model and algorithm for urban rail transit network (in Chinese). J Transp Syst Eng Inf Technol 9(2):81–86Google Scholar
- Liu S, Xu X, Shi C, Zhong M, Mu N, Xu S (2014) Study on passing capacity of fare gates in subway. J Saf Sci Technol 10(3):130–133 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- National Research Council, Transportation Research Board (2000) Highway capacity manual. TRB Special Report 209Google Scholar
- Wu J, Ma S (2013a) Crowdedness classification method for Island platform in metro station. J Transp Eng. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000517 Google Scholar
- Wu J, Ma S (2013b) Division method for waiting areas on Island platforms at metro stations. J Transp Eng. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000484 Google Scholar
- Xu R, Xu Y(2011) Real-time forecast of passenger flow distribution on urban transit line (in Chisese). J Tongji Univ (Nat Sci) 39(6):857–861Google Scholar
- Zeng L, Liu J, Qin Y, Wang L (2018) A passenger flow control method for subway network based on network controllability. Discret Dyn Nat SocGoogle Scholar