Vortical structures in the wake of falling plates
- 53 Downloads
Flow visualization and particle image velocimetry are applied to capture the flow fields generated by all three states of a falling plate in two dimensional passive flight—fluttering, chaotic, and tumbling. The vortical structures are recorded in considerable clarity. Classic vortex shedding from different flight states are observed. The causes of more energetic tumbling mixing and localized fluttering disturbances are discussed. Strong, but small trailing processions of Karman vortex pairs or Kelvin–Helmholtz instabilities are found. It is also found that their formations are dependent on the trajectory, distinguishing the unique flow structures that different flight paths leave behind. The falling plate also induces a significant downwards convective motion. Further investigation shows that the wake trail and the convection contribute to the complex formation and dissipation of large vortical structures.
KeywordsFalling plates Vortical structure PIV Flow visualization
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Numbers 11772172 and 91752205). We thank Kenneth M. Lau for his technical support in image processing.
- DeVoria A, Mahajan P, Ringuette MJ (2011) 49th AIAA aerospace sciences meeting including the new horizons forum and aerospace exposition, vol. 2011–396 AIAAGoogle Scholar
- Shelley MJ, Zhang J (2011) Flapping and bending bodies interacting with fluid flows. Ann Rev Fluid Mech 43:449. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-fluid-121108-145456 MathSciNetCrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- Stringham GE, Simons DB, P GH (1969) The behaviour of large particles falling in quiescent liquids. Tech. Rep. 562-C, U.S. Department of the Interior Geological Survey Professional PaperGoogle Scholar
- Tam D (2015) Flexibility increases lift for passive fluttering wings. J Fluid Mech 765. https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2015.1
- Tian R, Shu F (2015) 23rd AIAA aerospace sciences meeting AIAA. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2015-0046
- Vetchanin EV, Klenov AI (2015) The Bulletin of Udmurt University. Math Mech Comput Sci 25:554Google Scholar