Gasification of Cork Wastes in a Fluidized Bed Reactor
- 69 Downloads
Biomass gasification has been identified as an option for energetic valorisation of organic wastes. This work aimed to study the gasification of cork industry wastes using a semi-batch fluidized bed reactor. The experimental tests were performed using air as oxidizing agent and sand particles as bed material. The heating was performed with an electrical resistance of 3 kW. The effect of biomass load (2–5.6 g), and bed temperature (780–900 °C) on gasification performance was evaluated using an air flow rate of 0.092 g/s. Samples of producer gas were analysed by a gas chromatograph fitted with a thermal conductivity detector. The detected and quantified compounds on producer gas were H2, CO, CH4 and CO2. Temperature and mass load had a predominant role in gasification performance and all gasification parameters increased with the temperature rise. The increase of mass resulted in a decrease of carbon conversion efficiency, cold gas efficiency and dry gas yield. Best results were obtained with mass load at a range of of 2–4 g, working at 850 °C. The results showed that cork particles are a sustainable raw material for gasification processes.
KeywordsCork particles Gasification Fluidized bed Producer gas
Financial support from the “FCT—Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia” under the Research Project UID/EQU/00305/2013.
- 1.Cortiça – Estatísticas e Prospectiva. Associação Portuguesa da Cortiça (APCOR). http://www.apcor.pt/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Estudo_CaraterizacaoSectorial_2015.pdf, Accessed 17 Nov 2016
- 2.Taylor and Francis: Handbook of Plant-Based Biofuels. Ashok Pandey Editor, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Aguiar, S.: Avaliação Experimental de um gaseificador de leito fluidizado borbulhante para biomassa. MSc thesis in Mechanical Engineer, UNIFEI, Brazil (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.André, R., Pinto, F., Franco, C., Dias, M., Gulyurtlu, I., Matos, M., Cabrita, I.: Fluidised bed co-gasification of coal and olive oil industry wastes. Fuel 84, 1635–1644 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Borges, M., Ferreira, J., Roseira, I., Rosmaninho, M., Silva, M.: A cortiça, in Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro (Eds.), Ciência e tecnologia dos materiais, Intelecto, pp. 74–139 (1988)Google Scholar
- 15.Wwn-Ching, Y.: 2003. Handbook of Fluidization and Fluid-Particle Systems. Marcel Dekker Inc, New York, ISBN: 0-8247-0259-XGoogle Scholar
- 17.Almeida, A.F., Vieira, M.S., Ribeiro, A.M., Pereira, I.M., Neto, M.P., Pilão, R.M.: Effect of air/biomass ratio on the gasification of Olive bagasse particles. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Dev., 7, 4 (2016)Google Scholar