Simplified and Accelerated Method of Led Lamp Useful Life Estimation
- 25 Downloads
LED lamps have experienced growth of usage in artificial lighting because of their high luminous efficiency, long lifetime and resistance to mechanical stresses. Many new manufacturers are starting to produce such lamps, and a part of them do not have enough experience in this particular field. This leads to cheap products that do not meet the product-specific requirements. Due to this reason, a study was initiated in order to analyze standards governing LED light sources, and the simplified and accelerated method for evaluation of lumen maintenance life of LED lamps was proposed. In this paper, the initial results of lamp temperature parameters, the AC/DC converter efficiency analysis and the experimental results of measurement and calculation of lumen maintenance life L70 by applying the proposed technique are discussed.
KeywordsLED lamp Photometric parameters Useful time Lumen maintenance life
- Philips wins L Prize for 60 W-replacement LED lamps LEDs magazine. Internet resource: <http://ledsmagazine.com/features/8/9/14>.
- S. Wang, K. Pan, P. Huang and F. Yuan, A structure design in HP-LED chip for higher reliability. Electronic packaging technology and high density packaging (ICEPT-HDP), 13th international conference on electronic 2012, pp. 1521–1525. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICEPT-HDP.2012.6474896.
- N. Narendran, Y. Liu, X. Mou, D. R. Thotagamuwa, and O. V. M. Eshwarage. Projecting LED product life based on application, Fifteenth international conference on solid state lighting and LED-based illumination systems, vol. 9954, 2016, pp. 99540G 1-7.Google Scholar
- Standard LM-79-08. Illuminating Engineering Society (IES). Approved method: electrical and photometric measurements of solid-state lighting. Approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).Google Scholar
- Standard TM-21-11. Illuminating Engineering Society (IES). Projecting long term Lumen maintenance of LED light sources. Approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI),New York, 2011.Google Scholar
- Standard LM-80-08. lluminating Engineering Society (IES). Approved method: measuring Lumen maintenance of LED light sources. Approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), New York, 2008.Google Scholar
- L. Pradeep, W. Junchao and D. Lynn, L70 life prediction for solid state lighting using Kalman filter and extended Kalman filter based models, Conference on LED-based illumination systems location. Book series: proceedings of SPIE, vol. 8835, 2013, pp. 88350M.Google Scholar
- J. Q. Hao, L. Sun, Y. Jing, J. Wang, H. Zhao, H. Zhang, X. Gao and Y.Wang Zhang, Comparison of lifetime predictions with LED lamps and light source modules in accelerated aging tests, 17-th international conference on thermal, mechanical and multi-physics simulation and experiments in microelectronics and microsystems (EuroSimE). 2016, pp.1–5.Google Scholar
- M.P. Dias, D.P. Pinto and H.A.C. Braga, A simplified technique of lighting performance evaluation applied to led-based modern luminaires, Power electronics conference COBEP ‘09. Brazilian 2009, pp. 11003177.Google Scholar
- N. Narendran, E. Page, and C. Miller, LED lighting product life and failure: Why we need new test methods for accurate life reporting in applications, Lightfair international 2018, Chicago, Illinois.Google Scholar
- S. K. Rönnberg, M. Wahlberg and M. H. J. Bollen, Harmonic emission before and after changing to LED and CFL. Part II: field measurements for a hotel, in IEEE conference, 2010, Bergamo, pp. 1–7.Google Scholar
- R. M. Rubinger, E. R. da Silva, D. Z. Pinto, C. P. L.Rubinger, A.F. Oliveira and E. C. Bortoni, Comparative and quantitative analysis of white light-emitting diodes and other lamps used for home illumination. Opt. Eng. 54(1), 014104 201. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.54.1.014104.
- H. Ou, D. Corell, Y.Ou, P. B. Poulsen, C. Dam-Hansen and P.-M.l Petersen, Spectral design flexibility of LED brings better life, Proceedings SPIE 8278, light-emitting diodes: materials, devices, and applications for solid state lighting vol. XVI, 2012, p. 827802. https:// https://doi.org/10.1117/12.916204.
- H. Yang, J. Li, R. Yao, P. Lu and Y. Pei, The stability of spectrum reproduction by LEDs, Proceedings SPIE 9571, Fourteenth international conference on solid state lighting and LED-based illumination systems, vol. 95710C, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2187169.
- G Peck and M. S. Ashburner, Solid state led lighting technology for hazardous environments; lowering total cost of ownership while improving safety, quality of light and reliability, Petroleum and chemical industry conference Europe conference proceedings (PCIC EUROPE), 2011, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- N. Narendran and Y.Liu, LED life versus LED system life. International symposium, seminar and exhibition, 2015, pp.1–4.Google Scholar
- J. Li, L. Zhang, A. Wang, C. Zhao and L. Lin, Effect of junction temperature on the performance of high-power white LEDs, Proceedings SPIE 7852, LED and display technologies, 2010, pp.78521H.Google Scholar
- L. S. Leng, V.Retnasamy, M. M. Shahimin, Z.Sauli, S. Taniselass, M. H. B. A. Aziz, R.Vairavan and S. Kirtsaeng, A comparative study of thermal performance on commercialized LED bulb on the luminaire geometry. Proceedings SPIE 10124, light-emitting diodes: materials, devices, and applications for solid state lighting, vol. XXI, 2017, pp.101241N. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2257227.
- V. Dumbrava, D. Pagodinas and I. Kupciunas, Initial investigation into the energy and operational parameters of LED modules, Elektronika ir elektrotechnika, Kaunas, 2016, ISSN 1392–1215, vol. 223, pp.33–36.Google Scholar
- C. Biber, LED light emission as a function of thermal conditions. Semiconductor. Thermal measurement and management symposium, 2008, Twenty-fourth Annual IEEE.Google Scholar
- LED Luminaire Lifetime: recommendations for testing and reporting. LED systems reliability consortium, 2014, pp.1–32.Google Scholar
- N. Narendran, Y.W. Liu, X. Mou, D. R. Thotagamuwa, O.V.M. Eshwarage, Projecting LED product life based on application, 15-th international conference on solid state lighting and led-based illumination systems, vol. 9954, 2016, pp. 99540G.Google Scholar
- F. Jiajie, K-C Yung, M. Pecht, Lifetime estimation of high-power white LED using degradation-data-driven method. IEEE Trans. Device Mater. Reliab., vol. 12(2), 2012, pp. 470–477.Google Scholar
- P. Lall, P. Sakalaukus and Davis, L, Reliability of solid-state lighting electrical drivers subjected to WHTOL accelerated aging. intersociety conference on thermal and thermomechanical phenomena in electronic systems, 2014, pp. 1164–1170.Google Scholar
- B. Sun, X.J. Fan, H. Ye, J. Fan, C. Qian, W. van Driel and G.Q. Zhang, A novel lifetime prediction for integrated LED lamps by electronic-thermal simulation. Reliab. Eng. Syst. Saf., vol.163, 2017, pp.14–21.Google Scholar