Design of the Ion Trap and Vacuum System for 171Yb-ion Optical Frequency Standard
- 172 Downloads
We are developing a frequency standard based on the ultra-narrow electric octupole transition of the ytterbium-ion (171Yb+), which is in the optical wavelength region. In this article, we describe optimized design of our end-cap type Paul trap which will be used for trapping single ions for precision frequency metrology. Selection of the materials for fabricating different parts of the trap assembly is also described. Customized design of the ultra-high vacuum chamber, which houses the ion trap, oven producing ytterbium atomic beam, compensation electrodes and high numerical aperture fluorescence collection lens together with four pairs of optical viewports is lastly described.
KeywordsIon trap Ultra-high vacuum Frequency standard Optical clock
We thank A. Sen Gupta for useful discussions and acknowledge CSIR-CSIO for fabricating the trap assembly using their precision machining facility. S. DE acknowledges CSIR-NPL, SERB-DST (No. SB/S2/LOP/033/2013) and DAE-BRNS (No. 34/14/19/2014-BRNS/0309) for supporting this work.
- T. Rosenband, D.B. Hume, P.O. Schmidt, C.W. Chou, A. Brusch, L. Lorini, W.H. Oskay, R.E. Drullinger, T.M. Fortier, J.E. Stalnaker, S.A. Diddams, W.C. Swann, N.R. Newbury, W.M. Itano, D.J. Wineland and J.C. Bergquist, Frequency ratio of Al+ and Hg+ single-ion optical clocks; metrology at the 17th decimal place, Science, 319 (2008) 1808–1812.CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- R.M. Godun, P.B.R. Nisbet-Jones, J.M. Jones, S.A. King, L.A.M. Johnson, H.S. Margolis, K. Szymaniec, S.N. Lea, K. Bongs and P. Gill, Frequency ratio of two optical clock transitions in 171Yb+ and constraints on the time variation of fundamental constants, Phys. Rev. Lett., 113 (2014) 210801.CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- B. Stein, Contributions to a Yb+ single ion optical frequency standards, PhD thesis, University of Hannover (2010).Google Scholar
- S.A. King, R.M. Godun, S.A. Webster, H.S. Margolis, L.A.M. Johnson, K. Szymaniec, P.E.G. Baird and P. Gill, Absolute frequency measurement of the 2S1/2–2F7/2 electric octupole transition in a single ion of 171Yb+ with 10−15 fractional uncertainty, New J. Phys., 14 (2012) 013045.CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- S. De, N. Batra, S. Chakraborty, S. Panja and A. Sen Gupta, Design of an ion trap for trapping single 171Yb+, Curr. Sci., 106 (2014) 1348–1352.Google Scholar
- N. Batra, S. De, A. Sen Gupta, S. Singh, A. Arora and B. Arora, Systematic shifts for ytterbium-ion optical frequency standards, Manuscript is communicated to SCI journal (2014). http://arxiv.org/pdf/1405.5399.pdf.
- N. Batra, S. De, A. Rastogi, S. Panja and A. Sen Gupta, Effects of a nearly ideal quadrupole ion trap for optical frequency standards. In: Proceeding of CDAMOP 2015 conference in the international journal-journal of atomic, molecular, condensate and nano physics. Manuscript is communicated (2015).Google Scholar
- A. Agarwal and A. Sen Gupta, Frequency and intensity control of lasers to cool and control caesium atoms. MAPAN-J. Metrol. Soc India, 27 (2012) 169–173.Google Scholar
- P. Arora, S.B. Purnapatra, A. Acharya, R. Kumar and A. Sen Gupta, Measurement of temperature of atomic cloud using time-of-flight technique. MAPAN-J. Metrol. Soc India, 27 (2012) 31–39.Google Scholar