Primary hydatid disease of breast: a case report
- 61 Downloads
Human hydatid disease, or echinococcosis, is a helminthic infection that leads to the formation of fluid-filled cysts in the liver, lungs and other organs. Breast, is a rare primary site of hydatid disease. We report a case of a 45 years old female who presented with a breast lump of 2 years duration. On fine needle aspiration cytology a diagnosis of fibrocystic changes of the breast was made and ultrasonography breast showed a thick walled infected cystic lesion. Intraoperatively, a diagnosis of hydatid cyst was made which was confirmed on histopathology.
KeywordsHydatid disease Breast Histopathology
Funding was provided by Dr Sheema Sheikh.
- Akhter J, Khanam N, Rao S (2011) Clinico epidemiological profile of hydatid diseases in central India, a retrospective and prospective study. Int J Biol Med Res 2:603–606Google Scholar
- Alamer Ali, Aldhilan Asim, Makanjuola Dorothy, Alkhushi Abdulmohsen (2013) Preoperative diagnosis of hydatid cyst of the breast: a case report. Pan Afr Med J 14(99):2396Google Scholar
- Beaver PC, Jung RC, Cupp EW (1984) Clinical parasitology, 9th edn. Lea & Febiger, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- Gutierrez Y (1990) Diagnostic pathology of parasitic infections with clinical correlations. Lea & Febiger, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- Helminths IMH (1980) In: Sonnenwirth AC, Jarett L (eds) Gradwohl’s clinical laboratory methods and diagnosis, 8th edn. The C.V. Mosby Comp, chapter 98, pp 2111–2157Google Scholar
- Khader M, Faheem N, Nusrath N, Rao BSS, Ram GR, Sushma C, Subramanyam Y, Ramesh K (2013) The scenario of Hydatid cyst disease in epidemic areas of Andhra Pradesh—evaluation and analysis. Int J Res Dev Health 1(3):120–128Google Scholar
- Salati SA, Dar AM, Khan AB, Bhat MA, Ahanger AG (2008) Isolated pericardial hydatid cyst. J Surg Pak (Int) 13(4):167–169Google Scholar
- Taori KB, Mahajan SM, Hirawe SR, Mundhada RG (2004) Hydatid disease of the breast. Indian J Radiol Imaging 14(1):64–65Google Scholar
- Thompson RCA (ed) (1986) The biology of Echinococcus and hydatid disease. George Allen & Unwin, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Wani R, Jehangeer AM, Asif Y, Naaz I (2014) Site distribution and pathology of hydatid disease from a tertiary care hospital. JK-Practitionar 19(3–4):85–89Google Scholar