In vitro production of Toxocara canis excretory-secretory (TES) antigen
- 158 Downloads
Toxocara canis is a widespread gastrointestinal nematode parasite of dogs and cause Toxocara larva migrans, an important zoonotic disease in humans on ingestion of infective eggs. Toxocarosis is one of the few human parasitic diseases whose serodiagnosis uses a standardized antigen, T. canis excretory secretory antigen (TES). The present study describes collection of T. canis adult worm, collection and embryonation of T. canis eggs, hatching and separation of T. canis larvae, in vitro maintenance of T. canis second stage larvae for production of TES, concentration of culture fluid TES and yield of TES in correlation with various methods cited in literature.
KeywordsToxocara canis In vitro cultivation Excretory-secretory antigen
The authors wishes to thank Dr. S.A. ASOKAN, Dean, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai, India for the facilities provided. The work was supported by Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, India with financial assistance in the form of Junior Research Fellowship.
- Colli CM, Rubinsky-Elefant G, Paludo ML, Falavigna DLM, Guilherem EV, Mattia S, Araujo SM, Ferreira EC, Previdelli ITS, Flavigna-Guilherem AL (2010) Serological, clinical and epidemiological evaluation of toxocariasis in urban areas of South Brazil. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 52:69–74CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gupta AK (1984) A simple method of artificial hatching of Toxocara canis in vitro and preparation of excretory secretory antigen. Curr Sci 53:529–530Google Scholar
- Magnaval JF, Glickman LT, Dorchies PH (1994) La toxocarise, une zoonose helminthique majeure. Rev Med Vet 145:611–627Google Scholar
- Shobana M (2003) Immunodiagnosis of Toxocara canis infection. M.V.Sc. thesis submitted to the Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Science University, ChennaiGoogle Scholar
- van Knapen F, van Leusden J, Polderman AM, Franchimont JH (1983) Visceral larva migrans: examinations by means of enzyme linked immunosorbent assay of human sera for antibodies to excretory secretory antigens of the second stage larvae of Toxocara canis. Z Parasitenkd 69:113–118CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Vasquez Tsuji O, Barbabosa IM, Zavala JT, Hernandez AR, Torres HP (1997) Vegetables for human consumption as probable source of Toxocara spp. infection in man. Bol Chil Parasitol 52:47–50Google Scholar