The role of Montanide ISA 70 as an adjuvant in immune responses against Leishmania major induced by thiol-specific antioxidant-based protein vaccine
Leishmaniasis is a parasitic disease caused by several species of the genus Leishmania. Montanide ISA 70 is an adjuvant composed of a natural metabolizable oil and a very refined emulsifier from the manide monooleate family. The TSA (thiol-specific antioxidant) is a important antigen of Leishmania major. The purpose of this work was protein-vaccine efficacy as an protection and excellent candidate in the presence Montanide. The expression of recombinant protein was confirmed with SDS (sodium dodecyl sulfate) page and Western bloting. 48 BALB/c mice were divided into four groups (TSA/Freund,TSA/Alum + BCG, TSA/Montanide and PBS groups) and immunized with 20 μg of vaccine subcutaneously three times intervals on days 0, 14 and 28. The mice were challenged with parasite 21 days after final immunization. The lymphocyte proliferation was evaluated with Brdu method. Cytokines and also total antibody and subclasses were evaluated with ELISA method. The vaccine formulated with the recombinant TSA protein with Montanide induced lymphocytes proliferation cytokines and total antibody and subclasses as compared with the control group.
KeywordsBCG TSA Montanide Leishmaniasis Vaccine IFN-γ
We would like to thank of Iran University of Medical Sciences and Tehran University of Medical sciences for Financial Supports this work.
Conflict of interest
We declare no conflicts of interest.
- Buffer PA, Sulahian A, Garin YJF, Nassar N, Derouin F (1995) Culture microtitration :a sensitive method for quantifying Leishmania infantum in tissues of infected mice. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 216:7–8Google Scholar
- Campos-Neto A (2005) What about Th1/Th2 in cutaneous leishmaniasis vaccine discovery? Braz j Med Biol Res = Revista brasileira de pesquisas medicas e biologicas/Sociedade Brasileira de Biofisica [et al]; 38:979–984Google Scholar
- Chae HZ, Robison K, Poole LB, Church G, Storz G, Rhee SG (1994b) Cloning and sequencing of thiol-specific antioxidant from mammalian brain: alkyl hydroperoxide reductase and thiol-specific antioxidant define a large family of antioxidant enzymes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:7017–7021CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Khamesipour A, Rafati S, Davoudi N, Maboudi F, Modabber F (2006) Leishmaniasis vaccine candidates for development: a global overview. IndianJ Med Res 123:423–438Google Scholar
- Tabatabaie F, Ghaffari far F, Dalimi A, Sharifi Z, Zavaran Hoseini A (2007) Cloning and sequencing of leishmania major thiol-specific antioxidant antigen [TSA] gene. Iran J Parasitol 2:30–41Google Scholar
- Von Stebut E (2007) Immunology of cutaneous leishmaniasis: the role of mast cells, phagocytes and dendritic cells for protective immunity. Eur J Dermatol 17:115–122Google Scholar