Histopathological study on parasites in freshwater ornamental fishes in Iran
- 210 Downloads
During March 2012 through February 2013, 100 freshwater ornamental fishes in 22 species from some aquarium fish shops were examined. Specimens were dissected and tissue samples consisted of liver, kidney, spleen, heart, intestine, ovary, brain and eye were fixed in 10 % buffered formalin and sections were provided and stained with hematoxylin and eosin, Periodic Acid-Schiff, Giemsa and acid-fast staining (Ziehl-Neelsen). At present study six species of protozoans consisting of Eimeria spp. Cryptosporidium spp., Tetrahymena corlissi, Thecamoeba spp., Giardia spp., Myxobolus spp. and two metazoan parasite consisting of Nematoda spp. and Benedenia monticelli were identified. Thecamoeba, B. monticelli and Cryptosporidium spp. were not reported in previous Iranian studies and it is the first report of infestation to this parasite in ornamental fish in Iran.
KeywordsHistopathologic method Iran Ornamental fish Parasite
The authors thank the University of Tabriz for financial support.
- Aly SM, Ahmed YAG, Ghareeb AAA, Mohamed MF (2008) Studies on Bacillus subtilis and Lactobacillus acidophilus, as potential probiotics, on the immune response and resistance of tilapia nilotica (Oreochromis niloticus) to challenge infections. Fish Shellfish Immunol 25:128–136CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kohn A, Cohen SC, Salgado-maldonado G (2006) Checklist of monogenea parasites of freshwater and marine fishes, amphibians and reptiles from Mexico. Zootaxa 1289:1–114Google Scholar
- Mehdizadeh S, Mousavi H, Masoumian M, Omrani B (2009) Report of Myxobolus in pearlscale goldfish gill imported in Iran. In: Aquaculture Europe 2009 conference, Trondheim, NorwayGoogle Scholar
- Moles A (2007) Parasites of the fishes of Alaska and surrounding waters. Alsk Fish Res Bull 12:243–247Google Scholar
- Pazooki J, Masoumian M, Yahyazade HM, Abbasi K (2007) Metazoan parasites from freshwater fishes of northeast Iran. Iran J Fish Sci 9:25–33Google Scholar
- Raissy M, Ansari M, Jalali B (2010) Occurrence of parasites in selected fish species in Gandoman Lagoon. Iran J Fish Sci 9:464–471Google Scholar
- Roberts RJ (2001) Fish pathology. W.B. Saunders, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Shafiei A, Ghazi SM, Antikchi M, Nabavi R (2009) Parasite of Goppy fish in Isfahan province. In First International congress of aquatic animal health management and disease, Iranian Veterinary Council, TehranGoogle Scholar