Enhancing Wear Resistance of Cryo Treated Cu-Be2 Alloy
- 15 Downloads
In this investigation, the influence of cryogenic treatment on the tribological properties of Cu-Be2 alloy was investigated. Deep cryogenic treatment and shallow cryogenic treatment were applied to Cu-Be2 alloy. As-received (AR), shallow cryogenic treated (SCT) and deep cryogenic treated (DCT) Cu-Be2 alloy were used as pin material. AISI 4140 alloy steel hardened to 513 HV was used as disc. Wear test was carried out using pin-on-disc wear test set-up and the wear tracks were examined using Scanning Electron Microscope. Wear rate and coefficient of friction of the cryogenic treated sample were lower than that of the as-received sample. Adhesive wear, plastic deformation and delamination of asperities were found to be the principal mechanism in the wear characteristics on the as-received as well as the cryogenic treated samples.
KeywordsCryogenic treatment Pin-on-disc Wear Wear particle analysis Wear mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Collins DN, Dormer J (1997) Deep cryogenic treatment of a D2 cold-work tool steel. Heat Treat Met (UK) 24(3):71–74Google Scholar
- 18.Properties and Selection: Non-Ferrous Alloys Pure Metals, ASM Metals Handbook. vol 2 10th edn pp 403–423 (1992)Google Scholar
- 19.Yahya A (2010) Wear behaviour of aged Cu-Be alloy under electrical sliding. Sci Res Essays 5 (19):2997–3002. http://www.academicjournals.org/journal/SRE/article-abstract/8BD4C7917094
- 20.Kwok CT, Wong PK, Man HC, Cheng FT (2010) Sliding wear and corrosion resistance of copper-based overhead catenary for traction systems. IJR Int J Railw 3:19–27Google Scholar
- 23.Archard JF (1980) Wear theory and mechanisms. In: Peterson MB, Winer WO (eds) Wear control handbook. ASME, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 29.Yildiz Y, Sundaram MM, Rajurkar KP, Nalbant M (2011) The effects of cold and cryogenic treatments on the machinability of beryllium-copper alloy in electro discharge machining. New Worlds of Manufacturing. 44th CIRP International Conference on Manufacturing System, chaired by Duffie N.A. Omnipress, MadisonGoogle Scholar