Mechanical Strength Behavior of Hybrid Composites Tailored by Glass/Kevlar Fibre-Reinforced in Nano-Silica and Micro-Rubber Blended Epoxy
- 16 Downloads
The present work aims to investigate the mechanical properties and fracture toughness of woven fabric Glass/Kevlar based hybrid composite tailored using modified epoxy with micro rubber and nano silica. The principal aim of this work is to clarify the importance of hybrid fibre/filler addition and stacking sequence of fibre reinforcement in epoxy matrix. The epoxy was modified with addition of 9% micro rubber and 11% of nano silica by weight fraction. Both glass and kevlar woven mats were made by hand weaving and the composites were prepared using hand lay-up method. The fracture toughness results revealed that the exclusive addition of rubber particles in epoxy reduces the strength and modulus but improved fracture toughness. Further tailoring the hybrid composite by adding nano silica of 11 wt.% increased tensile and flexural modulus. The highest tensile and flexural strength of 275 and 162 MPa was observed for composite, which contain nano silica as reinforcement at accumulate layer stacking sequence. The fractograph results revealed the dispersion of nano additions and fracture characteristics of hybrid composites. These mechanically toughened epoxy composites could be used in high damping mechanical applications.
KeywordsGlass/kevlar Nano-silica Micro-rubber Tensile strength Fracture toughness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Arun Prakash VR, Rajadurai A (2016) Thermo-mechanical characterization of siliconized E-glass fibre/hematite particles reinforced epoxy resin hybrid composite. Applied Surfcae Science 384(16):99–106Google Scholar
- 2.Guru Raja M. N & A.N. Hari Rao, 2013, “Effect of an Angle-Ply Orientation on Tensile Properties of Kevlar/glass Hybrid Composites”, Volume-2, Issue-3, 891–899Google Scholar
- 3.Manjunath CM (2010) The tensile fatigue behavior of a glass fiber reinforced plastic composite using a hybrid toughened epoxy matrix. J Compos Mater 156(4):60–67Google Scholar
- 8.Dinesh T, Kadirvel A, Arunprakash (2018) Effect of Silane modified E-glass fibre/iron(III)oxide reinforcements on UP blended epoxy resin hybrid composite, silicon 10(3):1–12Google Scholar
- 9.Ramesh C, Manickam C, Maridurai T, Arun Prakash VR (2017) Dry sliding wear characteristics of heat treated and surface modified hematite particles-epoxy particulate composite. Romanian journal of materials 47(3):401–405Google Scholar
- 10.Arunprakash VR, Rajadurai A (2016) Mechanical, thermal and dielectric characterization of iron(III)oxide reinforced epoxy hybrid composite. Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures 11:373–380Google Scholar
- 18.Rathnakar G, Shivanand H (2013) Fibre orientation and its influence on the flexural strength of glass fibre and Graphite fibre reinforced polymer composites. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science Engineering and Technology 2(3):548–552XxxGoogle Scholar