1.38kV Merged Pin Schottky Rectifier for High Power Device Applications
- 20 Downloads
In this paper, we have proposed a modified version of junction barrier schottky diode (JBS) with fused trench structure to enhance electrical properties. The device has an increased current density, low forward voltage drop, high breakdown voltage and large schottky contact area as compared to previous merged pin-junction barrier schottky diode.4H-SiC is used as a substrate and device is purely simulation based. To carry out simulation work Silvaco TCAD(ATLAS) is used. The simulated device has current density of 110 A/cm2 with schottky region having height of 2.5 μm and at a forward voltage drop of 2.5 V. The proposed device has more number of schottky contacts than the previous devices and it reduces the forward voltage drop by 20% at current density of 140 A/cm2. The output capacitance of this device, common JBS and earlier merged pin schottky diode are almost same. Moreover, the forward and reverse features of device are studied at room temperature (25 °C) as well as at higher temperatures.
KeywordsCommon junction barrier schottky diode Current density Forward voltage drop Merged pin junction barrier schottky diode Silicon carbide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Millman J (1958) Vacuum-tube and semiconductor electronics. 1st ed. Electr Electron Eng Ser. New York: McGraw-Hill 657Google Scholar
- 2.Streetman BG, Banerjee SK (2015) Solid State Electronic Devices: Global Edition. 7th ed. Harlow, United Kingdom: Pearson Education Limited 632Google Scholar
- 3.Chow T, Tyagi R (1993) Wide bandgap compound semiconductors for superior high-voltage power devices. In Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs, 1993. ISPSD'93. Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on, pp 84–88Google Scholar
- 6.Harris GL, INSPEC (1995) Properties of silicon carbide. INSPEC, Institution of Electrical EngineersGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dahlquist F (2002) Junction barrier Schottky rectifiers in silicon carbide. Mikroelektronik och informationsteknikGoogle Scholar
- 13.Brosselard, P & Chevalier, Florian & Proux, Benjamin & Thierry-Jebali, Nicolas & Bevilacqua, Pascal & Tournier, Dominique & Planson, Dominique & Grosset, Gregory & Dupuy, Lionel (2015). Impact of Design on Electrical Characteristics of 3.5 kV 4H-SiC JBS Diode. Mater Sci Forum 806:117–120. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.806.117
- 17.Qingchun Zhang C, Sei-Hyung Ryu C (2014) Junction barrier Schottky diodes with current surge capability. U.S. Patent and Z.e. al., Editors. Cree, Inc., Durham, NC (US): USA p. 21.Google Scholar
- 18.Chang H-R, Baliga BJ, Tong DW (1991) Power rectifier with trenches. U.S. Patent 4,982,260Google Scholar
- 19.Shang-hui LT, Baliga BJ (1993) Schottky barrier rectifier including Schottky barrier regions of differing barrier heights. U.S. Patent 5,262,668Google Scholar