Development and Properties of Centrifugally Cast Silicon Nitride Reinforced Functionally Graded Copper Matrix Composite
- 16 Downloads
The current study aims to synthesize copper alloy and functionally graded Cu-10Sn-5Ni/10Si3N4 composite using horizontal centrifugal casting method and compare their mechanical and adhesive wear characteristics. The fabricated castings have dimensions of Øout100 x Øin70 × 100 mm. Microstructural analysis revealed that inner region of composite possesses higher concentration of reinforcement particles, resulting in better hardness and tensile properties at this region compared to outer regions of both unreinforced alloy and composite. Analysis of dry sliding wear performance and frictional coefficient was performed at inner region of the composite under different sliding conditions using Taguchi’s method on pin-on-disc tribometer. Signal-to-Noise ratio and Analysis of Variance results concluded that applied load had the most influence on wear rate and coefficient of friction followed by sliding distance and sliding velocity. Worn surface morphologies of composite specimens revealed a transition from mild to severe wear at high loads. The fabricated composites are well suitable for sliding tribological applications.
KeywordsFunctionally graded composite Copper Microhardness X-ray diffraction analysis Tensile strength Adhesive wear Friction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We are so thankful to Defense Research and Development Organization for providing the financial support. [ERIP/ER/1503188/M/01/1587].
- 1.Davis JR (2001) ASM Speciality Handbook: Copper and copper alloys. ASM international, 3-9. https://doi.org/10.1361/caca2001p003
- 5.Macke A, Schultz BF, Rohatgi P (2012) Metal matrix composites. Adv Mater Process 170(3):19–23Google Scholar
- 10.Zhan Y, Zhang G (2003) Graphite and SiC hybrid particles reinforced copper composite and its tribological characteristic. J Mater Sci 22(15):1087–1089Google Scholar
- 27.Radhika N, Vaishnavi A, Chandran GK (2014) Optimisation of dry sliding wear process parameters for Aluminium hybrid metal matrix composites. Tribol Ind 36(2):188–194Google Scholar
- 28.Theivasanthi T, Alagar M (2010) X-ray diffraction studies of copper nanopowder. arXiv preprint arXiv: 1003.6068Google Scholar