Investigation of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium 6061-Silicon Carbide, Boron Carbide Metal Matrix Composite
- 328 Downloads
High demand on materials to increase the overall performance of automotive and aerospace components has forced the development of composite materials. Among the various composites, Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites (AMMC) are widely used to fulfill the emerging industrial needs. This paper deals with the investigation of mechanical properties of AMMC produced by the stir casting technique for various compositions of boron carbide and silicon carbide reinforced with aluminium alloy 6061. The tensile, flexural, hardness and impact tests were performed and it was found that the hybrid composites had better properties than pure aluminium. The microstructure of the hybrid composites was analysed using Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM).
KeywordsAluminium Silicon carbide Boron carbide Mechanical properties Stir casting process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Murakami Y, Cahn RW, Haasen P, Kramer EJ (1996) Mater Sci Technol 8:213–218Google Scholar
- 4.Allison JE, Cole GS (1993) Metal matrix composites in the automotive industries. Jr Met 45:10–15Google Scholar
- 5.Suresh S, Mortensen A, Needleman A (1993) Fundamentals of metal matrix composites. Butterworth-Heinemann, pp 3–23Google Scholar
- 6.Vijaya Ramnath B, Elanchezhian C, Annamalai RM, Aravind S, Sri AnandaAtreya T, Vignesh V, Subramanian C (2014) Aluminium metal matrix composites - a review. Rev Adv Mater Sci 38:55–60Google Scholar
- 8.Harish Garg K, KetanVerma AM, Kumar R (2012) Hybrid metal matrix composites and further improvement in their maChinability. Int J Latest Res Sci Technol 36:2278–5299Google Scholar
- 17.Wu X, Xia K (2007) Back pressure equal channel angular consolidation-Application in producing aluminium matrix composites with fine fly ash particles. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 192–193:355–359Google Scholar
- 20.Bansala P, Upadhyay L Experimental Investigations to study tool wear during turning of alumina reinforced aluminium composite. Proced Eng 51:818–827Google Scholar
- 21.Siddique Ahmed Ghias A, Vijaya Ramnath B (2015) Investigation of tensile property of Aaluminium SiC metal matrix. Int J App Mech Mater 766-767:252–256Google Scholar